turkey fights

To Kate+chicks,
Just to let you know not to be surprised about your Jennie still laying. I have a girl that only stops about 6 weeks a year and continually mates during all her egg laying time. I just figure that she only stops so she can molt and get a better winter coat as all the mating gives her a bare back even with her saddle on. It's great to have eggs nearly all year too!!!

seems every week I've been modifying turkey enclosure to accommodate their needs. We had a batch of 9 toms.

I traded two for two hens and put with biggest tom separate. so 6 toms fighting the breeding tom through wire fence made for a bloody encounter. Sheet metal wall 800mm high so they can't see each other.

then the 6 toms started fighting and we started processing the weaker birds. thought we'd see if one beaten tom would come good, didn't and lost a lot of weight, so not the best dinner from him.

finally down to 2 toms who are seriously frustrated mating the ground, though not trying to kill each other. One for Christmas lunch and the other to go with a pair of hens that I hope to get from the 17 eggs going into incubator today.

Lastly, watch your kids in the pens. My toms try to dominate and fight the kids, at least I know the kids will leave them alone now.

We have 4 toms this year. (we get 4 turkeys every year, and process them all within the year) Its much different than last year, when we just had all ladies, who laid a lot of eggs. These boys are fighting a lot. The biggest one though, will come after anyone--including me. I think we'll process him first. He's the only BBW we have, and he's always been twice the size of the others. Last years turkeys we let go until this spring. This years turkeys aren't going to make it to Thanksgiving! I can't handle the new "arrangements" I need to make, and almost daily!!!

We have 4 toms this year. (we get 4 turkeys every year, and process them all within the year) Its much different than last year, when we just had all ladies, who laid a lot of eggs. These boys are fighting a lot. The biggest one though, will come after anyone--including me. I think we'll process him first. He's the only BBW we have, and he's always been twice the size of the others. Last years turkeys we let go until this spring. This years turkeys aren't going to make it to Thanksgiving! I can't handle the new "arrangements" I need to make, and almost daily!!!

they sound like buggers.

our two toms that are toghether were fighting pretty badly yesterday. It's obvious which one Ill keep for breeding spare. the other i'll just keep an eye on, if he looks to be loosing condition, of to the fridge for him.

Hi everyone :)

I must say I'm somewhat relieved to be reading that my flock are acting normally afterall!

This week I've had to seperate my two toms (1 year old Thomas and 5 months old Gravy). Gravy has always be designated as Thanksgiving Guest of Honour. I was worn out watching Thomas pursuing Gravy relentlessly and worried about both of them losing weight from this activity.

My problem now is that Thomas is bonded with his 2 hens of 1 year old and will not accept his daughters of 5months old who I had intended to keep to breed with him.

Could things change by Spring when they come into breeding age? I just dont knwo what to do for the best for them all.

thanks
Sharon

I hate the fighting! Has anyone had issues with pecking? I've noticed my boys are starting to go at it (UGH!!) and I watch them get into these little pecking squabbles. One turk will pick up something yummy, and his brother will want it, so he pecks at the other boy's cheek/chin area. And he will grab on! I have a bunch of guys with little cuts on their cheek/chins/dewlaps and its frustrating. I don't want infections!

The worst one, on a big standard bronze named Avery, is a little swollen. I'm going to check the forum for cleaning tips, but does anyone have some here? How do you hold a turkey's head so that he can't wiggle or hurt himself? The last few nights, I've been able to apply a little neosporin while he's roosting, but he's starting to catch on and doesn't like things poking him (lol, who does?).

I know flipping them on their backs works (at least when they're younger) but I haven't tried to flip over a 15-20 pound bird yet, haha. I don't want to hurt him and I don't want to take a wing to the face (its kinda stingy... and flips my glasses off somewhere.. prolly into turkey poo).

Sooo strange to us...we have 2 Standard Bronze Toms and 5 hens. They were all in the same large pen with a guinea and a temporarily visting Banty Rooster...but anyhow, the Toms did fight a few times, nothing long lasting and they all got along well. So, we decided to split the Toms and give one 3 hens and the other 2 hens before they get too much older and the fighting over hens begins. The only thing separating the two groups is some nice PVC coated chicken wire. Finished the first two runs today and separated the birds...and then it got WILD.

The Toms went at it with the fence between them. They would grab each other's snoods or waddles or beaks and hold on and pull thru the chicken wire. My husband and I physically pulled the birds from the fence but within a minute, the two were at it again. So odd since they all got along so well when penned together. Maybe one is jealous of the hens we gave the other...don't know. However, they finally gave up and things have settled down. We show one of those Toms and I am hoping their behavior does not do any noticeable damage to either. If it happens regularly, we will move them so there is an empty pen between them. Anyone else had their Toms start fighting BECAUSE they were separated???

Back
Top Bottom