turkey fights

Are you using the same breeders year after year, or line breeding? You might need some new genes in the mix. If you don't have enough property for them to get away from each other, there will be more fighting. Usually mine will bump chests and pull a snood or two, forming pecking order, but if they were crowded, things would probably be worse. Turkeys do better, the more room they have and too many inbreed them by buying all their breeding stock from one source! Every couple of years, I get rid of all my toms and get new toms from a different non- related breeder.
When the laying season is winding down and molting will soon start, turkeys usually lay fewer and fewer eggs, until they stop completely to molt! This is normal! Sounds like Dad is already Alpha and not being challenged yet. Too many turkeys in not enough room makes for more aggression. Turkeys do best free ranging on about 1/8 to 1/6 acre per bird, depending on size of breed and quality and quantity of feed. If hand raised, they are less aggressive and tamer, but raised by their mother, they will be better foragers, given enough room!

Like chickens, turkeys will fight to establish pecking order and since they are larger, you will notice it more, but it also depends on breed and genetics, or diversity in the genetics!
We get our chicks from the local farm supply here. We've usually always had bronze, but the first year, and the 3rd year (this year) we have had BBW's. We only wanted Bourbon Reds for THIS year, but half died, and we got replacements, which ended up being a bronze and a BBW. (4 turkeys max each year) All are toms. Its quite a different feel. First year, we had 2 toms/2 hens. Only the 2 toms fought. Second year we had all hens. They would get a little aggressive with a duck or chicken once in a while, but for the most part, just laid eggs. They have a big yard to roam in, but they are housed in a smaller house at night. When I let them out in the morning, sometimes the biggest one will have blood on his neck (and he has no feathers in one spot-its bare-they've been just pecking him there). I've separated them during fights a few times. I know they just need to be out more. Our coop is a 10x10 closed off area, to keep the predators away. Now that they are big enough, they've been out for longer during the day. I think that helps, but still, I guess I can only do so much.

Separate any that continue to spar (even mild cutaneous - `dry' form can take up residence in upper GI if the boys are trans. with`biting beaking'). Last year, our turks were `hit' with the Pox (first time in over 8 yrs). Those toms sparring the most were the most symptomatic (jake/hens sharing same area with no sparring were either asymptomatic or developed one/two small scabbed pox). Most one can do is suppress the sparring/make sure the guys can get to food and water/daub any weeping pox with iodine/betadine. Good luck!

What happened here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/134230/hope-this-saves-a-turkey-from-blackhead/80

If a yearly occurrence (vaccine): http://posc.tamu.edu/files/2012/08/Fowl-pox.pdf

Our jakes/toms have always sparred (Spring/Fall) with no lasting damage, but they have plenty of trees to retreat up into and are not crowded into pointless duels. Goes without saying that BB's should be separated so as to focus on `Thanksgiving'.

More on sparring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/40700/ah-heck-wheres-the-lek
Thank you for your help

Oh yeah, and NONE of our toms tails look good at ALL!! All pecked to "ugly".
hmm.png

I would split them up fast, as they can do terrible injuries and would never give up...keep an eye on them, but in separate pens...no matter how small...doubt the silkies are the cause, it's just natural...it may just be one of them a Girl.....Men will fight....and women too this days lol
Good luck

Last edited:
Hello,
One weird thing happened by turkey
At the starting of this year January I bought a pair of Turkey both from different shop in a month or so the hen started laying eggs, after 16 she started incubating then in 25 days 4 babies hatched one white and black as parents and 3 are black. Now they are 4.5 months old so I separated from there parents a month ago, and there parents starting mating again but strange thing happened yesterday in morning both parents where fighting very wild and it looked that hen was winning she just bite that thing which goes big and small and male was bleeding then I just hold female and male came upon her and mated with her then she became normal again. Now I keep them in separate cages only open at the time to have sex..so anyone know about this?

Hello I bought a pair of Turkey from different shop in January this year after few days hen lays 16 eggs and sit on them for incubation then 25 Days later 4 chicks hatched one white as parents and 3 are black they are now 4.5months and I have separated them from there mom now parents started mating and yesterday both parents where fighting and hen just grab the male thing which keeps on going big and small,male started bleeding so I hold the hen down and male starting mating with her and she's normal again what's that behaviour????

for the injuries that arent healing well, you could put arnica in their water. it will help heal and reduce the swelling. there is also a product called herbal solution that is amazing. have you tried iodine or diluted peroxide?

if males fight need to separate asap just had one of my male turkeys kill the other male they get aggressive he was squeezing his neck so he could not gobble or move i separated them with stick put the other one in another pen but he just laid in coop and died was my burbon red

if males fight need to separate asap just had one of my male turkeys kill the other male they get aggressive he was squeezing his neck so he could not gobble or move i separated them with stick put the other one in another pen but he just laid in coop and died was my burbon red

Welcome to BYC.

Sorry for your loss. Did the toms share a run?

Back
Top Bottom