TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

Sure will...this site is where I ordered my last one and it's been a great tarp. They are having a great sale right now.... http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/clear-string-tarps.html?gclid=CKO8x7i6r88CFQOQaQodxKQKVw

I like this site too because it gives you the actual dimensions of the tarp right below the picture...the sale dimensions go by the cut tarp, before it's been hemmed and grommeted, but if you look below those stated dimensions they have the actual size in parenthesis. Can't tell you how much I wish I had looked at that before I bought my last clear tarp.
lol.png

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the 16x16 on that page.

I like this site too because it gives you the actual dimensions of the tarp right below the picture...the sale dimensions go by the cut tarp, before it's been hemmed and grommeted, but if you look below those stated dimensions they have the actual size in parenthesis.
I too was happy to see that on the last tarp I bought, unfortunately, it was not quite accurate....
.....not a show stopper but was disappointed,
as it would have fit the application much better if it had been 16' instead of 15' 6".

Sure will...this site is where I ordered my last one and it's been a great tarp. They are having a great sale right now.... http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/clear-string-tarps.html?gclid=CKO8x7i6r88CFQOQaQodxKQKVw

I like this site too because it gives you the actual dimensions of the tarp right below the picture...the sale dimensions go by the cut tarp, before it's been hemmed and grommeted, but if you look below those stated dimensions they have the actual size in parenthesis. Can't tell you how much I wish I had looked at that before I bought my last clear tarp.
lol.png

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the 16x16 on that page.
that is the site I used as well. I did have one issue. I ordered a very large 24 x30 tarp and there are two seams through it. One of them didn't get sealed all the way. I was going to return it and have them ship me a new one but the hubby didn't want to wait so we got some spray adhesive out and "fixed" it! I hope it holds!

Technically, it's a "new coop" for my big (isa brown) girls, they were in a teeny little thing when they wouldn't get on with my new chooks, so now they've got their own house. It's a repurposed cubby that some people were giving away. I had to pay "a guy" to bring it to my place and put it back up, but I put up the run in front. It's meshed on the roof as well, so now the crows (that have been thinking that the chicken treats are also theirs) can't join in, as they could when the big girls were in an uncovered yard.

Technically, it's a "new coop" for my big (isa brown) girls, they were in a teeny little thing when they wouldn't get on with my new chooks, so now they've got their own house. It's a repurposed cubby that some people were giving away. I had to pay "a guy" to bring it to my place and put it back up, but I put up the run in front. It's meshed on the roof as well, so now the crows (that have been thinking that the chicken treats are also theirs) can't join in, as they could when the big girls were in an uncovered yard.

It is cute, but doesn't rain and/or melting snow run off the roof into the run? Or is there some protection there that I'm not seeing in the photo?

It is cute, but doesn't rain and/or melting snow run off the roof into the run? Or is there some protection there that I'm not seeing in the photo?
I'm in Western Australia. It doesn't rain much and we don't have snow (it never really gets that cold here, we can hang around outdoors pretty much all year round). Yes, the rain will fall into the run. It's not a very good photo, but the underneath of the house is also "run" area. Its about 3 metres long, there's a fair amount of room under there that is completely covered, and they can go inside. Those girls also free range the whole backyard, and they never seem to care about running in out of the rain, they just keep digging and scratching and doing what they do. They have plenty of "under cover" if they did want to come in out of the rain, but I've never seen them run for cover, ever LOL

Last edited:
Ordered my larger clear tarp today....hopefully won't have to buy that item again for a long, long time.

Next week I'm enlisting the aid of one of my sons in jacking up the front of the coop(need to borrow his car jack to go along with mine) and placing spacers and support under the base boards. It will give me more room in the coop for deep litter while also giving more support to certain areas of the structure.

I love this ritual of preparing the coop for winter and improving things along the way.

Back
Top Bottom