UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
Hi Barbara :frow

I'm good thanks and glad you are too. Harry is all good too and back to his old self now he has his new buddy Brannon. Been getting out 2-4 times a week in him although not much last week with all the fog we had in the mornings. He's loving going out with Brannon again and they have been behaving and not been naughty boys ~

Started bringing him in on a night now the weather has changed. Came in on Sunday night for the first time and I was expecting him to be wild as wind on Monday but he was ok, shocked me so maybe he has grown up at last. I'm hoping a couple more weeks and I will be able to clip him. Winter coat not fully through yet. Vet coming on Monday to do his dental work, so my fingers are crossed that goes well. His legs have been a bit puffy in a morning since he's been in but I'm hoping this settles and is just because he's not out 24/7 anymore. Have started on cortaflex, only been on it a couple of weeks and I can't say I've noticed anything different so maybe that's a waste of money. Time will tell though.

Things are sounding good on the chicken front, some meat and your broodies laying again. They sound the perfect girls!! Mine have started some kind of molt but not a harsh one. Lots of feathers about but they are not lookzing bald :idunno
Hope your butchering plans all go good and you can get it done.

Last edited:
OK firstly I was not by no means attacking you regarding what you are doing I am no idiot and understand that rockers have really only one purpose and to many is no good I was explained this when I very first started looking in to having chickens and I would far rather them used for meat purposes rather than being abused as fighting birds. Good on you if you can do what needs to be done unfortunately the stage I'm at at the moment I do not need to think about that as I'm cockless lol but when I decide to hatch some chicks there is a lad over the road whom will do the deed for me or maybe my husband the trouble with me is I treat them as pets and pick em up I never bought them as egg layers that was a bonus I bought them for pets lol and when I saw post last night I did see funny side regarding sharpening the knives but thought God I'm glad I haven't got to do that I would probably miss and cut myself rofl tbh if I really felt strongly that it offended me I really would have said so I hope that clears up any misunderstanding:)

Thanks Yorkshire they are wicked how much for them and just out of curiosity what are they like for egg laying???

It is sad, but it's also sad having too many cockerels running around raping hens one after the next. If you specifically buy pullets because you don't want cockerels, you are, in my opinion, still complicit in what happens to the cockerels that you didn't want. It takes me a lot of courage to kill and I cry every time, but I have a responsibility to the creatures I raise and I try not to shirk that responsibility just because I can't face it. I eat meat and therefore I shouldn't expect someone else to get blood on their hands for me. I have seen the young cockerels pester the life out of my hens and I can't allow it to continue. There is no other purpose for these birds. I've kept some of them penned away since last year because I couldn't psych myself up to it, but it's no real life for them and I need to sort it.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh but I'm pretty tetchy about this subject because so many people choose not to think about what happens to all the cockerels in the world or believe that there is some loving home somewhere that they can all go to..... but reality is not like that.

OK firstly I was not by no means attacking you regarding what you are doing I am no idiot and understand that rockers have really only one purpose and to many is no good I was explained this when I very first started looking in to having chickens and I would far rather them used for meat purposes rather than being abused as fighting birds. Good on you if you can do what needs to be done unfortunately the stage I'm at at the moment I do not need to think about that as I'm cockless lol but when I decide to hatch some chicks there is a lad over the road whom will do the deed for me or maybe my husband the trouble with me is I treat them as pets and pick em up I never bought them as egg layers that was a bonus I bought them for pets lol and when I saw post last night I did see funny side regarding sharpening the knives but thought God I'm glad I haven't got to do that I would probably miss and cut myself rofl tbh if I really felt strongly that it offended me I really would have said so I hope that clears up any misunderstanding:)

Thanks Yorkshire they are wicked how much for them and just out of curiosity what are they like for egg laying???

Sorry forgot about the egg laying :smack

The average for polish is 120 a year but the hens these blue were hatched from are at about 180 a year. Hopefully they have their mothers egg laying genes.

Also how old are they? Sorry you probably have already said
BTW that made me chuckle once I put it are they little eggs or normal size.

I would love to have a cockerel but I cant as don't think the neighbors would share the love so I will have to wait till I got my own land :'(

BTW as you can see my mental black rock is still broody this was the result of taking her out of coop she scratched my door Matt and fluffed down she also took residents with my dog and started trying to fluff dog up to brood with her

Four of them are 16 weeks and one is 13 weeks. The eggs are smaller than normal commercial hen eggs. Here are some next to my Amber hens egg so not too much smaller ~

Those pics are great, she is a determined girl!! Love the dog one :lau

Oh wow they are so cool I am so tempted!!!!!!!
But I also wanted to get some fertile eggs and have a crack that way decisions decisions :)

Ah eggs are not to small at all

With regard to my wally black rock think I'm just gonna let her get on with it as she just keeps going back to it no matter what.

You could get some fertile eggs for your broody ;) Will keep her happy and you will have chicks. Plus she does all the work then! I love brooding chicks but seeing them raised natural is great. Here are a few chicks pics to sway you :oops:

Back
Top Bottom