UK Member Please Say HI

Some producers really struggled to manage the cost of changes to labelling that were required a few years back
Are you sure they were required to? Weren't the housing orders lifted just before such would become necessary?

In 2023, when the order did go beyond 16 weeks over the previous winter and into the spring, the only labelling change I saw in the chain stores was a sheet of A4 (apparently printed in the supermarket and stuck on the front of the shelves with a bit of sellotape) saying that these were Barn Eggs, with or without some explanation about the housing rules and AI. Do you know any producer/packer who actually did print new labels for their cartons? Everyone knew it was temporary and would be lifted sooner or later, so who'd go to that expense? Most people seem quite happy to apply hacks, and I heard of no case of someone being prosecuted for the wrong labels.

Finally, this is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. There were no general housing orders this winter. The approach has changed; birds will develop immunity. Besides, small scale organic producers are finding better ways to market now. See e.g. https://www.redwoodsfarm.co.uk/eggs/ or
https://oldhallfarmshop.co.uk/products/6-free-range-eggs
and Riverford, Ruxtons and others are acting as hubs too.

I'm referring to the outbreak of a few years ago.
Somewhere on the gov site it gives the stats that show a declining sector that needs all the help it can get.

Overview

This consultation seeks views on a proposed legislative reform to the Egg Marketing Standards Regulation. The proposed change will simplify the regulation on the labelling of free-range eggs, enabling free-range eggs to be marketed as such for the duration of any mandatory housing measures in England and Scotland.

Why your views matter

We want to know what you think about the government’s proposal to remove the 16 week derogation period. This is the maximum amount of time allowed for hens to be kept indoors during periods of mandatory housing measures and the eggs they lay to still be labelled as 'free range'. These housing measures are put in place to help stop the spread of bird flu. Currently if poultry is housed for longer than 16 weeks, the eggs must be labelled as ‘barn’ rather than 'free range'. The proposed removal of the derogation limit would mean eggs can be labelled as 'free range' for the duration of any mandatory housing measures.

Give us your views

Online Survey

Further to the last, this is worth reading
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2017-07-17/megafarms-uk-intensive-farming-meat
The same sort of arguments about competition with the EU and keeping costs down are made there to justify intensive factory farming. The stats, and the recent development of these systems, are notable. Factory farms are not what people imagine a farm to be.

Edited to add, turns out there's an organisation focused on tackling our not-fit-for-purpose labelling rules, the website's here
https://www.clearfoodlabeluk.org/

Last edited:
And we have another nail in the coffin of the term 'free range'

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/proposed-changes-to-egg-labelling-rules-support-british-industry

A propos the bit that says "

Chief Executive of British Free Range Egg Producers Association, Robert Gooch said:​

“The British Free Range Egg Producers Association (BFREPA) is delighted that producers should be able to protect their hens from the risk of bird flu by housing their hens in accordance with Government requirements without having to relabel their eggs, as a result of this consultation. It would also align the free range egg marketing rules with the European Union, which is important as it means that British producers will be on a level playing field with European farmers.”

someone in England or Scotland might like to complete the survey, and point out that 2 wrongs don't make a right. (There's no point me responding to it, I'm in Wales so they'll ignore me.) Just because the EU allows eggs laid by hens with not even access to the outside (apparently indefinitely, so potentially for their entire lifetimes) to be called 'free range' does not mean we should.

Housed hens are not free range hens. They can already be locked up for FOUR months - that's a third of the year - before the labels have to change. They might as well not bother with labels; they're more marketing devices than information sources already. Or maybe you could get the Advertising Standards Agency involved? They're supposed to prevent false descriptions of products.

The poultry industry needs to tackle AI by changing its practices, not by calling black white.
Thank you for this information I only have a few hens which provide me with just enough eggs for my family, so do not need to market my own, however it is good to keep up with current news on these issues.

Hello I am new to BYC I am in rainy Hertfordshire!
Yup my hens take a step out see the rain and do a u-turn and quickly come back inside. lol. The Silkies get really wet so I keep them mostly in (the others fair better). Here is hoping for dry weather and lots of dust baths for the chooks,

Hi Daniel, I'm just across the border in overcast North Essex. Been so wet lately our ditch has become a moat. Good for worms though and the chickens love a muddy puddle!

Back
Top Bottom