Unforseen change of plans - would this work?

My hens change their roosting habits on a whim as far as I can tell. When I first built the run, they wanted to sleep outside on the roost and I physically picked them up one and a time and put them back in the coop. In the coop, sometimes they roost in one place, some like to roost in one area, some in another. We are about to really shake things up since I am making their favorite roosting spot (the top of the nest boxes) off limits with a slant board. I expect they will figure it out. I am planning to leave the pop door open at night once we hit our 90+ degree temps. The run is as secure as the coop (well, almost).

Where are you located? You mentioned the heat, so are you in an area that doesn't really get winters? Would a coop work that had the entire front open to the run??? With window cut-outs even, if it gets that hot. Also, if you do expect them to stay in a "secure" run area, I would think you'd want to roof at least part of it in case of heavy rains??? There are many who don't shut their chickens in at night, who leave their pop doors open. You sound like you're aware of the risks. My girls are very ingrained in their habit to go into the coop at night. So I'm not sure whether they would go outside during the night if I left the pop door open or not. In other words, I can't answer your question...lol
tongue.png

You are in California right? What happened to that sketch-up you made? If that is the same coop you are going to build, as open and airy as it was, a privacy fence inhibiting the breeze is no problem. I am amused at your perseverance. Make it happen.
hmm.png

I had a similar situation with some neighbors and housemates. Our coop will actually be in the only space in our lot that has any yard...and we consider that our "front yard". We took a very, very detailed plan (including our decorative touches) to our neighbors and housemates to explain why we wanted the coop in our 'front yard', how it would actually improve the curb appeal of our property (it's replacing a rather hideous greenhouse), the steps we would take in construction and maintenance to make sure it stayed clean and keep the smell factor negligible, and the steps we would take to help minimize chicken noise (basically installing an automatic door or not closing the pop-door to cut down on early morning cluckage).

Presented with compelling visuals and strong reasoning, we quickly won over our nay-sayers.

My awesome chocolate chip cookies helped, too.

Last edited:
Every now and then for some unknown reason a few of my RIR's decide they want to sleep in the pine trees. mostly when it's really hot. We just built a new coop and the girls seem to want to bunch up all at one end of the nest boxes. It's gotta to be getting hot!!!! They really do have tiny tiny brains

Quote:
Yup, that is me, I know I am a bit schizophrenic and though a lot of ideas out in this forum. I love to make big plans and I need someone to make me sane, and since nobody else cares to listen I am afraid you were chosen... Anyway, I wanted chicks this year and it wouldn't happen if I'd have to build it myself so I bought one on Craigslist. It is not ideal, but it means I have a house for the chicks. It does not have a lot of ventilation (I will add more), but putting it right against a fence as I am going to do will definitely cut down on that breeze. That is what has to be done though.

Thanks for the advice, I have made up my mind. I'll build the run as secure as I can but at least for starts lock the girls up at night. If the house does get too hot for them I'll leave the door open. Then I guess it is up to them from there...

I'm late on adding to this but wanted to put my 2 cents in. Wherever your front door faces and your street address is is your front yard. Imagine your lot has a back yard and side yards based on this. Put your coop where it will be beneficial to your chickens and make your life easier. I think it's nice to think of the neighbors...however, in my experience, you give an inch and they take a mile. You can let them know that you've thought about their concerns and are planning on making it look nice. My coop is right out front of my property. I had one person, not even a neighbor, comment already on my chartreuse green door ( I say it's "granny smith apple green
wink.png
. Funny thing is is that this person lives in a dump on the highway with junk, including about a years worth of bags of used cat litter sitting 10 feet out the door.

If your neighbors don't like looking at it let them plant some shrubs to obstruct their view...or they can pay your taxes and tell you what to do with your property. Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods.
rant.gif

And welcome!! I'm in California....hope you're not driving by wondering who painted that door green!! LOL!!

I think if they want to decide what you do on your property, they should pay your mortgage, along with your taxes. Unless you already own your home. Then they should pay rent.
big_smile.png

I don't think your neighbors are being very nice. I have a feeling that no matter what you do to appease them, they will find something else to complain about. You know them better than we do, though. I would say, do your best to accommodate them if you want to, but I wouldn't go too far out of my way.

The first thing you should really do, is find out what you are legally allowed to do or what is legally prohibited. You do not want to be dealing with a fusspot, complaining neighbor and find out that you spent time and money on structures that you need to tear down and move. If you find out it's no problem, you can thank your neighbor for mentioning it and let them know what the correct information actually is. Do you have a HOA? They may have rules about it. If not, just check for local ordinances.

I have a semi-predator proof run that is roofed at one end, and 2 wide open coops. Meaning 3 walls, lotsa windows. My dogs have no interest in chickens but great interest in predators. Last night 2 chickens slept in the new coop on its perch, and 5 slept perching on the narrow back of the old brooder (3/8 plywood vertical perch) which has a cool, north/south breeze. I'd say they sleep where they want given a choice. It's hot and muggy in Texas right now.

Like many have stated, I'd check the local ordinance then go from there and build it where you originally planned.
Some people will just always find something to grip about and will no doubt find fault with your new plan so stick to your guns and do what is best for you and your chicks.
Besides, didn't you say you are only having a few hens??

As far as heat. Make sure you put a roof vent in so allow the heat that rises to escape and good luck with your new little ones. What kind did you get?

Back
Top Bottom