URGENT: gangrene? *GRAPHIC*

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
Yesterday I found our favorite bantam hen standing still under the rabbit hutch - not normal. She stood on one leg. She didn't want to move, but still seemed alert. I felt around her thigh and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary (this is what baffles me, as you will see.) We took her in and since a certain member of the family insisted she was egg-bound, she spent hours soaking in the bathtub last night.

This morning my sister noticed that the skin on one side of her belly had turned gray, and her left leg - the one she had been holding up - had turned an even darker gray. My sister also found that she had a nasty cut on her thigh with a thick black scab over it. I don't know what did this to her and I am even more confused as to how I missed it when I was feeling around her thigh.

The hen is still alert and moving around just a little, and she will eat some.

Is this gangrene? If so, is there anything we can do? I know gangrene is bad but this is our favorite hen. :(

EDIT TO ADD: I noticed that it also feels soft, maybe a tiny bit squishy, when I press on the gray skin... not sure if this is just normal or not.

Last edited:
I doubt a vet is an option. Even if it were, the vets around here don't really know about much except cats and dogs.

It's probably bruising from her injury, but a picture always helps. I would apply some Neosporin on the cut every day. She may be pretty sore from her wounds, so she might benefit from resting in a dog crate (with food and water) out with the rest of the chickens, unless she gets too upset being penned.

It's probably bruising from her injury, but a picture always helps.   I would apply some Neosporin on the cut every day.  She may be pretty sore from her wounds, so she might benefit from resting in a dog crate (with food and water) out with the rest of the chickens, unless she gets too upset being penned.

Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like bruising to me. I didn't notice that skin being gray yesterday. It looks like it's spreading. And she wouldn't have a smooth bruise clear up to her chest...
My sister put a lot of triple antibiotic cream (Neosporin, I guess - we only get the store brand :D ) on the cut, and she's in the dog pen with food and water now. When our rabbit hopped up to the pen, she pecked at him like she normally does. :lol:

She is doing a little eating, drinking, and somtimes preening. Other than favoring the leg and not walking around, she doesn't seem like she's in a lot of pain.

Bruising will spread if there is some bleeding under the skin. It sounds like she was injured by a predator that she escaped from. Gangrene is usually found in extremities that are dying from lack of circulation, such as when someone loses a toe or foot. Pictures always help us see what you are seeing. Doe you think that her leg is broken? Breaks high in the thigh bone or femur can be hard to heal. Maybe her moving around after the injury has caused more bruising.

Last edited:
@Eggcessive is right, pictures would be very helpful. I'm not positive, but I think gangrene or necrotic tissue would smell.

-Kathy

Thank you both. Hopefully it is just bruising... I would hate to lose this hen.
I did notice some softness under the skin. Maybe bleeding...? Is that bad?
When I felt her leg I didn't notice anything different from the other leg.

We will smell it. ;) Can't get any photos right now but I will try soon.

The cut smells normal. It doesn't smell good - it smells a lot like chicken poop - but I'm pretty sure that's normal. ;)

The cut smells normal. It doesn't smell good - it smells a lot like chicken poop - but I'm pretty sure that's normal.
wink.png
A picture would be really helpful. Do you have a cell phone with a camera?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom