URGENT: gangrene? *GRAPHIC*

The gray, wrinkled skin in this picture looks dead to me.

But I am not experienced enough to tell you to start hacking away.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I think you are probably right about that.

IDK...but if she were my bird, I wouldn't go opening her up just yet. It's still possible that it's just a massive bruise. It appears that she still has some feathers attached to the area in question and if it was necrotic, I don't believe the tissue would support that. But if you decide to debrid, there are several different methods of doing so. With sharp removal of the dead tissue being just one of them. You can also chemically debrid with hydrogenperoxide and such. My fear right now is if you cut into her skin, you're increasing the risk of introducing an opportunistic infection, which can result in shock, and may even kill her. It's up to you, but whatever you decide, I would go ahead and start her on a round of antibiotics just to be one the safe side. IMO.

Anyone posting here, please don't worry about stepping on my toes if I say something that's confusing or wrong, just post what you would do or re-write my suggestions.
big_smile.png

• All of the matted feathers and debris need to be removed.
  • Feathers need to be cut or trimmed back 1" from the edge of the wound.

-Kathy

Thanks.

Don't think we have any betadine - just peroxide. :(

I have Duramycin-10 powder on hand, as well as triple antibiotic and Blu-Kote.

BTW, the wound itself looks so nasty partially because it's all sticky and wet with the antibiotic ointment. Sorry I couldn't get a good photo of the wound, but it looks like a messy cut with a black line of dried blood/scab on top.

Thanks.

Don't think we have any betadine - just peroxide.
sad.png

I have Duramycin-10 powder on hand, as well as triple antibiotic and Blu-Kote.

BTW, the wound itself looks so nasty partially because it's all sticky and wet with the antibiotic ointment. Sorry I couldn't get a good photo of the wound, but it looks like a messy cut with a black line of dried blood/scab on top.
Go buy some betadine... You'll find it at any pharmacy or feedstore that has horse supplies. As for an antibiotic, not sure what would be best for that type of wound.

-Kathy

if she were my bird, I wouldn't go opening her up just yet. It's still possible that it's just a massive bruise. It appears that she still has some feathers attached to the area in question and if it was necrotic, I don't believe the tissue would support that. But if you decide to debrid, there are several different methods of doing so. With sharp removal of the dead tissue being just one of them. You can also chemically debrid with hydrogenperoxide and such. My fear right now is if you cut into her skin, you're increasing the risk of introducing an opportunistic infection, which can result in shock, and may even kill her. It's up to you, but whatever you decide, I would go ahead and start her on a round of antibiotics just to be one the safe side.

I definitely do not feel comfortable with cutting her open.
I think I'm going to have to use peroxide.
She seems so ... *okay* now - I would just feel awful if I killed her by trying to help.
Should I use the Duramycin-10? That's all I have. (If she lives through this, would we be able to eat her eggs afterward?)

• All of the matted feathers and debris need to be removed.
  • Feathers need to be cut or trimmed back 1" from the edge of the wound.

-Kathy

Sounds good.

Go buy some betadine... You'll find it at any pharmacy or feedstore that has horse supplies. As for an antibiotic, not sure what would be best for that type of wound.

-Kathy

Amoxicillian maybe? Don't know, haven't used it on my birds but you can buy the Fish Mox capsules and mix up the powder. I just don't have any idea what strenght you'd use. Have no idea if the Duramycin will work for this.

I wouldn't cut her open either. Is the wound completely closed over? I guess that is what I'd want to know is if she's got infection in the wound that needs draining.

-Kathy

Amoxicillian maybe?  Don't know, haven't used it on my birds but you can buy the Fish Mox capsules and mix up the powder.  I just don't have any idea what strenght you'd use.   Have no idea if the Duramycin will work for this.

I wouldn't cut her open either.  Is the wound completely closed over?  I guess that is what I'd want to know is if she's got infection in the wound that needs draining.

We bought the Duramycin for our duck when her eye was badly infected (think terrible rotting smell) from a predator attack. She lost her eye, but the infection cleared up within a few days. So would it work for this chicken too?

I think the wound is mostly closed up. I'll need to look at her again.

However, this is what the Duramycin says about chickens:

"FOR CHICKENS: INDICATIONS
Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride."

It also says "Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption."
Although you can still eat birds that have been treated with it. :confused:

However, this is what the Duramycin says about chickens:

"FOR CHICKENS: INDICATIONS
Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride."

It also says "Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption."
Although you can still eat birds that have been treated with it.
hu.gif
Almost all drugs say that, but most people just wait 14-28 days after the last dose to eat the eggs.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom