URGENT: gangrene? *GRAPHIC*

Quote: We bought the Duramycin for our duck when her eye was badly infected (think terrible rotting smell) from a predator attack. She lost her eye, but the infection cleared up within a few days. So would it work for this chicken too?

I think the wound is mostly closed up. I'll need to look at her again.
If it's the only one you have or can get, you might as well use it.

-Kathy

I agree !!! But amoxicillin or even Tylan-200 would probably be better! If you can't get it, you can't get it, so let's move on. It's highly likely that the site of the injury would feel warm to the touch if an ongoing infection was present, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'd go ahead and treat with whatever it is that you have. Sorry if this has already been said, but be sure to keep her plenty warm and out of the way of drafts (inside would be best), because once they catch a chill, it gets harder and harder for them to fight whatever it is they've got. And if you use the hydrogenperoxide on her, only do it once and then re-apply a light coating of antibiotic ointment over the entire wound. The reason you don't want to continually use the peroxide on her is that it 'explodes' oxygen cells, rendering them basically useless, and it's the oxygen cells that you need around to help stimulate new cell (skin) growth. And if you apply the ointment like you're frosting a cake, well, once again, you'll be depriving the wound to its much needed oxygen. OK?

Oh...and one more thing, no more soaking in the tub for her !!! It can actually destroy the integrity of the skin, causing it to slough off.
smack.gif
Just keep it clean!

Oh...and one more thing, no more soaking in the tub for her !!!  It can actually destroy the integrity of the skin, causing it to slough off.  :smack Just keep it clean!

Definitely. I wasn't the one who did it... it was another member of the household who thought they had it all under control. :rant

Okay. I rinsed off the wound, only to find it looking very different than it did this morning. It looks like the muscle is exposed, but dried over. The leg is a bright turquoise/jade green color where it becomes scaly, and a similar green on the breast where the gray meets the pink. I will post photos in a minute.

Last edited:
Tell the other member of the house that a better and safer way to treat egg binding it to put them in a warm bathroom full of steam. She's missing almost all of her keel feathers, like she had been sitting on a nest.... Was she sitting somewhere?
-Kathy

She's missing almost all of her keel feathers, like she had been sitting on a nest.... Was she sitting somewhere?
-Kathy

She was sitting on a nest a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday I saw her nesting outside the nestbox again. She's an OEGB and they seem to be prone to making nests anywhere and everywhere - all the time.

You might want to very gently check the inside of her vent for an egg. With my OEGB's about 1/4" in is where I can feel the egg.

-Kathy

It's actually GOOD that it's turning a greenish color. That means that the wound is actually older than once thought. Bruises are pretty predictable in their color pattern. The green coloration you see is the initial blood (bruise) as it dissipates through the skin and is re-absorbed back into the body. It's completely normal. Now, the 'pocket' of fluid is not necessarily so normal. I'll wait for the pictures though before I speculate on what it could be...

The Avian Medicine book link says "greenish discoloration of the skin is normal in bruised birds due to the accumulation of biliverdin pigment following breakdown of hemoglobin, This coloration develops two to three days post-injury and may persist for a week or more".

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom