URGENT: gangrene? *GRAPHIC*

My mom says that the "pocket" is probably exposed muscle. We had some Silkies live through a dog attack once and my mom says this is similar to how they looked. She's eaten some bread soaked in Duramycin-10 solution. Very eager to eat.

Last edited:
Not to peat and repeat but yes, that does look seriously better now that it's all cleaned up and we can really see what's going on! Does that pocket feel fluidy or is it firm? I think she'll heal up just fine. Give whatever antibiotic's you have, keep her clean etc. Love to see a pic when it's healed.

I had to run my eggs into the market, sorry that I missed all the fun. I'm glad the wound looks better. Tetracycline (Duramycin) is not a bad antibiotic, and it may work. It was used a whole lot more years ago, but some germs have built up resistance over time. Lets all hope it helps heal it. If I were to pick up an all round antibiotics at the sfeed store, it would probably be Gallimycin (erythromycin) since it works on wound infections, intestinal, and respiratory infections. Vets have the best ones with Baytril, Clavamox, and Cipro. Do you think that a hawk tried to grab your little OEG? I have used hydrogen peroxide for many many years in hospitals, and it always worked pretty well to clean infected wounds out, as well as preventing abscesses. It has come under fire lately with new information, but as long as it is used only a couple of times, it won't matter.

Boy oh boy, is that a different bird...lol ??? She sure does clean up well! I'll agree with your mom on the issue of the 'pocket'. It does have that rather smooth textured, shiny gloss thing going on that muscle tissue tends to have, so I'd just keep an eye on it and it'll probably heal right up with the rest of her. I'm glad to see that she looks so much better now. Next thing is she'll start to feel better. And then hopefully, before you know it, she'll BE better!!! Good luck and keep us posted with words and pictures!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

It could have been our rooster's massive spurs... or possibly a rat. A hawk is possible, but unlikely, since this chicken is so small - I would have expected her to be carried off, unless maybe the rooster interfered.

Could have been the rooster's spurs. One of my hens showed up with a quarter size hole torn in her side down to the muscle, just under the edge of her wing, from my rooster. We usually keep his spurs trimmed back but hadn't done it for a while. Put the rooster in a bachelor pad, flushed and cleaned her wound, gave some antibiotic's and she healed up just fine.

Back
Top Bottom