!!!URGENT!!! Neighbors dog killed all of my ducks. This is not the first time.

I just went into the woods between the two houses and couldn’t find my duck. Yesterday, neighbor said she checked her yard and wasn’t able to find anything. Don’t know if I believe her. It just seemed like she was trying to evade responsibility when she brought it up.

To add further context, her dog attacked another neighbors dog or a stray (not sure who he belonged to, but he was in our yard when it happened) about a year ago. My grandma was outside with the other dog waiting for the animal shelter to come pick him up. Neighbor and her dog were on a jog and her dog attacked the stray. Since it wasn’t our dog, we couldn’t do anything about it.

This dog has a lengthy history of being violent. I’m afraid because we don’t have cameras that they’ll throw any sort of action out. It’s basically her word against ours. I still have all the text messages from previous incidents where she did admit responsibility & the card where she gave us the gift card for the chickens.

Still don’t know what to do. If it tells you anything, we don’t have a single issue with other predators. Somehow this dog is much smarter than foxes, hawks, coons, possums, coyotes, everything.

We talking about getting a guard dog, but I’d be heartbroken if something were to happen to them as well. We put some cheap motion cameras up last night pointing at the barn, coop, & their run.

If the dog is jumping the fence
You could add coyote rollers to the top
Videos on YouTube to show how
I would also have the neighbour pay for it
Many dogs can jump 6 foot high fences
I wouldn’t doubt it at all. This dog is a massive pit, so he’s very agile and strong. I’ll check at my farm store next time I run by. Thank you.

Hello. I haven’t been online in a few months because everything was going wonderfully. My babies were nearly a year old.

Earlier today we saw my neighbors dog walking off with our male duck hanging out of its mouth.

Long story short, this the third time something like this has happened. The dog killed an entire group of chickens a few years back and then killed 2/3 of our replacements.

Our neighbors agreed to keep the dog on a shock collar and they’ve warned us once when then dog has went missing so we can keep an eye out. No issues because we were able to lock everyone up in the barn. However, today the owner knowingly let the dog run loose without a collar and now my four ducks are dead.

The last time this happened, we contacted animal control and they told us there was nothing they could do and we would have to handle it privately. Our neighbor “paid us off” with a $50 gift card and after contacting her today, she offered to pay again. However, this does not fix the issue. My pets are dead, they refuse to take responsibility for their pet, and we have other animals that could potentially be at risk.

For context, we live in KY and not in city limits. Our animals are not free roam and stay in the barn or a fenced in area. The dog get in the fence each time. Not sure how, but he does. We’ve checked so many times to figure out how this dog has access and we couldn’t figure it out. It wasn’t an issue when the dog was on a collar.

Sorry for being so scattered because I’m very upset. I just need to know what I should do. I’m 20 and autistic, so I have a very hard time confronting people. Plus, I have never dealt with something like this.
Put up electric fence and send them the bill.

I'm extremely sorry for your losses. I would call Animal Control or even the Game Wardens to see if they can do something, and also ask $30 - $40 per duck.
If you still can't any results - If the birds were fenced in on YOUR property than you have the right to do away with the dog. This would be last resort of course - And I personally wouldn't want to do it but they can't sue you for it because one of Kentucky's laws says:

Under Section 258.235, any person may kill or seize any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding any livestock, or wounding or killing poultry, or attacking human beings, whether or not such dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this chapter.

While I’m here, I wanted to make a final post for my babies.

The Swedish Blue was the male, the other three were females. I got so lucky with the random M/F ratio!

This was my first experience with ducks and I couldn’t have asked for a better group. They made me so incredibly happy and it was such a joy to watch them grow. Rest in peace. <3

Attachments

• D3493734-15D6-4A42-B19B-E0FAA75D2F61.jpeg
    D3493734-15D6-4A42-B19B-E0FAA75D2F61.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 19
I'm extremely sorry for your losses. I would call Animal Control or even the Game Wardens to see if they can do something, and also ask $30 - $40 per duck.
If you still can't any results - If the birds were fenced in on YOUR property than you have the right to do away with the dog. This would be last resort of course - And I personally wouldn't want to do it but they can't sue you for it because one of Kentucky's laws says:

Under Section 258.235, any person may kill or seize any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding any livestock, or wounding or killing poultry, or attacking human beings, whether or not such dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this chapter.
Yes, I’m hesitant to hurt any animal. I have a gun, but I just don’t know if I could do it.

Yes, I’m hesitant to hurt any animal. I have a gun, but I just don’t know if I could do it.
I just saw the pictures of your beautiful ducks that dog killed.

Watching a neighbor's dog come into your yard and attack your pets is over the top of what one should bear and tolerate.

Back
Top Bottom