Utah!

It's from the eggs I bought online, but it still might be a lavender.  I had thought it was a paint with the black feathers coming in, but now it's going greyish.  My kids call it "Roasted Marshmallow".  If it's lavender, it will be really cool looking.  It's by far the biggest chick I hatched, although the others are catching up now.

I have a sizzle from your eggs that's white with small black spots (5 weeks), will that be a paint or  lavender?  I have no idea what the more exotic colors look like when they're young.  

Awww how cute! As far as mine goes--If it has small black spots it would be splash. I have had a few light light lavenderish blue with splash spots as well :D The one from the other eggs, (the pic you posted) does really look lavender but the seller would know for sure. Cute little thing! I wish it wasn't "pinging your roodar" LOL (love that)!

My brooder is getting too full, so I have 1 whitish (may be lavender) silkie frizzle, 2 black silkie frizzles and 1 black silkie for sale. They're 5/6 weeks old straight run. I'm posting here because I was hoping to find a taker for this whitish frizzle. It's pinging my roo-dar, but who knows...

I'll put them up on ksl this weekend, but thought I'd see if anyone here was interested. The black ones are $6 each. The white/lavender is $4 or $20 for all 4.

So cute! If I didn't have a bator FULL of Lisa's eggs I would be super tempted! I might still be tempted... Do you have pics of the others?

So cute!  If I didn't have a bator FULL of Lisa's eggs I would be super tempted!  I might still be tempted... Do you have pics of the others?

[Sold] Black frizzle (not Lisa's):

Black frizzle #2 (one of Lisa's):

Black silkie: (one of Lisa's)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever fermented chicken feed . If so how did it go ? Can you use tap water?
This forum has a great thread titled " fermenting feed for meat birds. " I read through most of it this spring. It took weeks!

I did ferment the feed for many months this spring. It was a bit messy (well I'M a bit messy) but I was very happy with the process & results in general. A lot of people reported that doing it in the winter was harder because it slows down the fermentation process, but if you all ready have a good batch going I dont think it would be a bad thing. Also it is reported once fed the wet feed freezes if not eaten immediately.

I used regular tap water, a big glug of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar- with mother, and feed stuffs. I used a scoop of chick starter, then whatever else I had on hand or got the inspiration to buy. I had been given some old food storage wheat, so a bit of that went in most batches, along with some rolled barley, rolled oats, some left over flax seeds, dried peas, BO sun flower seeds. all kinds of stuff. I used to go to Win-Co food bins and buy a little bit of this & that to see what they liked.
I know there is a "protein feed calculator" for figuring out what your end protein percentage is, but I did not bother with it at all. 1/3 of the mix was 21% chick feed, a good mixture of other goodies and they free-range in the yard 12 hours a day, bugs were PLENTIFUL this spring, so I didn't worry about Protein content of the feed. It may be more of an issue in the winter when bugs are less available.
The Vinegar is good for them and good for their digestive tract, as is fermenting in general. I put a fresh glug of AC in every week or so.
I had two small buckets running so I use one while the other aged a bit. I like it pretty well fermented but you can start to use it right away, I kept the mix quite wet, strained it over the bucket while I did my chores, then fed. When most of the solids are out of the first bucket, fill it up move it to the back and use the second bucket. That worked best for me.

The biggest thing I noticed was a decrease in the poop smell. It was notable.

Some people say their eggs produce more females when their birds are fed Fermented Feed. (I dont know about that)

I have nothing to compare it to as this was my first time with ducks, but they grew big, strong, bright eyed and FAST.

If/ When I get chickens I will definitely do it again.
Ducks are WAY too messy with their food to make this a viable option. As they got older most of the feed ended up in the bottom of their water buckets.

I think I located an inexpensive chicken coop ;-) I may be fermenting feed again sooner than later ;-)

While cruising around this evening I bumped into this link: http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2012/12/dont-use-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-in.html regarding the use of ACV in the water for chickens. I suppose it is one of those things for which NO one really knows? As I have noted prior, I don't use Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother in my flocks. But that is just me… those of you whom choose to do so, what is the reason to do so? Do you see a benefit from its use. How did you come to use it in your management strategy? I am neither pro nor con, I just have not seen a need to add another 'supplement' as of yet. An interesting topic for the fowl fanciers here whom choose to participate.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

While cruising around this evening I bumped into this link: http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2012/12/dont-use-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-in.html regarding the use of ACV in the water for chickens. I suppose it is one of those things for which NO one really knows? As I have noted prior, I don't use Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother in my flocks. But that is just me… those of you whom choose to do so, what is the reason to do so? Do you see a benefit from its use. How did you come to use it in your management strategy? I am neither pro nor con, I just have not seen a need to add another 'supplement' as of yet. An interesting topic for the fowl fanciers here whom choose to participate.

RJ

Interesting! I use it--here is the blog to where my info came that prompted me to start using it. I have really liked using it here and there, it cures the runny poops. I usually use oxine in the hottest months though, it keeps the waterers cleaner (less mold when it is hot) , then go with the ACV the rest of the year. There are a few articles under this category that talk about ACV....I think if you back up one step too there is more info under the health category. ( I must admit, I have been a believer in ACV prior to chickens and drink it myself quite frequently for health benefits so I might be biased :D)
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/nutrition.html.

While cruising around this evening I bumped into this link: http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2012/12/dont-use-apple-cider-vinegar-acv-in.html regarding the use of ACV in the water for chickens. I suppose it is one of those things for which NO one really knows? As I have noted prior, I don't use Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother in my flocks. But that is just me… those of you whom choose to do so, what is the reason to do so? Do you see a benefit from its use. How did you come to use it in your management strategy? I am neither pro nor con, I just have not seen a need to add another 'supplement' as of yet. An interesting topic for the fowl fanciers here whom choose to participate.

RJ

I use it sometimes. I used it with my first batch of chicks because it is supposed to help prevent cocci. I didn't use it as much with later batches and saw no difference (they were broody raised and eating fermented feed, so not a straight comparison). I will put it in the water if I think the chickens are looking a little off. I have it anyway and I figure it won't hurt.

I use it on myself when I have a cold with back of the throat drainage. Just mix it with a cup of water and some honey. My kids hate it, but will ask for it because it helps. I like it, but my whole family thinks I'm nuts.

Back
Top Bottom