Utah!

Quote:
I'm new to this. My chicks are about 25 weeks old and suppose to be early layers. We noticed some eggs in the bush several weeks ago. Hubby finished most the coop. Just need a door and perch for the inside. It's attached to a run.

Some days we get one egg and some days 2. Since I put them in their new home and not let them free range until afternoon, and after I put some ping pong balls in the coop I came home from the hospital today and found 3 lovely eggs. My EE aren't laying yet. The buff and one or two of the road island reds are laying.

After reading some posts I'm thinking they are laying more because they are having to eat their protein crumble more instead of running around the yard?

What do you all do for ventilation in the coops? How much is needed? We need to get that door on but the inside has hay all around and the nesting box is an old kitchen cabinet that has room for 2 chickens. They also have about 2 feet of space under the coop with hay and I put their food/water under there tonight in anticipation of the storm. We put a corrigated roof on. Considering we have no idea what we are doing I think the coop/run turned out pretty good. I would like to take some of boards off and put windows in though. Do you think plexi glass would work? We also want to put insulation on the inside of coop.

If we put insulation in do you think we need a warming lamp? I read that the chickens we have are suppose to lay through the winter. Does that mean without a lamp? I would rather let nature do it's thing and not force them to lay more than they were intended for.

Thank you for any ideas you can share.

Quote:
I've found that the comb is the best way. If all three ridges are the same size, roo. If the middle ridge is bigger than the one on each side, hen.

We were convinced our one was a roo. Twice the size of the other ee, big thick legs, weird tail feathers, even tried to crow. We weren't convinced until we got our first egg from her. They are such a weird breed. She laid at 18 weeks and the other ee didn't lay until she was 9 months.

Quote:
I'm new to this. My chicks are about 25 weeks old and suppose to be early layers. We noticed some eggs in the bush several weeks ago. Hubby finished most the coop. Just need a door and perch for the inside. It's attached to a run.

Some days we get one egg and some days 2. Since I put them in their new home and not let them free range until afternoon, and after I put some ping pong balls in the coop I came home from the hospital today and found 3 lovely eggs. My EE aren't laying yet. The buff and one or two of the road island reds are laying.

After reading some posts I'm thinking they are laying more because they are having to eat their protein crumble more instead of running around the yard?

What do you all do for ventilation in the coops? How much is needed? We need to get that door on but the inside has hay all around and the nesting box is an old kitchen cabinet that has room for 2 chickens. They also have about 2 feet of space under the coop with hay and I put their food/water under there tonight in anticipation of the storm. We put a corrigated roof on. Considering we have no idea what we are doing I think the coop/run turned out pretty good. I would like to take some of boards off and put windows in though. Do you think plexi glass would work? We also want to put insulation on the inside of coop.

If we put insulation in do you think we need a warming lamp? I read that the chickens we have are suppose to lay through the winter. Does that mean without a lamp? I would rather let nature do it's thing and not force them to lay more than they were intended for.

Thank you for any ideas you can share.

less protein can drop egg production but that would not make me stop letting them free range because it cuts down on feed and plus bugs have good protein i understand. for ventilation i have lots of it because i do not want it to get humid in the coop because that can cause problems. i also do not insulate my coop. i make sure the coop is not drafty because than can cause problems too. i got most my girls in february and had to heat the coop because for the first 16 weeks of their life they had heat i could not take that away but it was a pain and i will not heat my coop again and plus they do not need it. chickens did not have heat in the old days and did fine and my girls will be fine too. yes chickens can lay in the winter with out heat, from what i understand is lack of light is the issue in winter so i put rope lights in the coop. give them lots of bedding and they will be fine
smile.png

+1 on everything the-bird-man wrote.
There's a great article on ventilation here somewhere. I think you need about a foot of ventilation space per bird and no drafts.

Hello, I am brand new to this site and brand new to backyard chickens. I am so excited to start our new chapter. We just purchased a new home and are moving to Heber city and they allow up to 8 hens. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to when and where I should purchase these? Also what breed to well? We are looking for eggs and pets. I have 5 children and we are hoping to teach them self sufficiency and respect for where their food comes from
smile.png
. Thanks in advance for any advice!

cool.png

Welcome, do you already have a coop set up or a barn. That would probably make a difference in some of the recommendations.
woot.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
when do you plan on buying them and do you have a coop? i got my first girls from a guy in lindon and am very happy with them but i do not think he is selling chickens at this time but i would think he would in the spring. his website is getchickens.com and he also sells coops but i just built my own. i got my girls from him because i did not want to do the whole chick deal and got my first girls at 16 weeks. as for breeds i love my black sex-links or black stars as they are also called, they are amazing layers of big brown eggs and are so sweet for the most part but i do have one named mrs b because she complains so much and i will let you guess what the b stands for
gig.gif
but she still is a good girl and i love her. my leghorns are egg making machines but they are just crazy and act like they are on drugs all the time and they get loud too so i will not be buying anymore leghorns. my easter eggers may not be the best of layers but they are okay and they lay green eggs but some people have had them lay different colors too, they are a good breed and one of my favorite breeds. i also have a welsummer that is not laying yet but will lay a dark brown egg, she is a good girl but can be a little loud at times but is not as bad as the leghorns. you should be warned that chickens can be very addicting. i enjoy my chickens so much
love.gif

Quote:
Are you sure the EE isn't a hen? Looks just like one of my hens. I can see the roo-ish tail but no waddles and small comb. Can see the roo in the blue.

I have about 5 EE's and can you believe they are ALL laying brown eggs? Grrrr... EE's aren't the best layers and I got them only for the colored eggs. The banty EE's tho lay the cutest blue, green, olive eggs. More flightly than reg size EE's.

i am kinda thinking hen also. i would hate to get your hopes up but i would wait a little longer to be sure. i know s/he may have a roo like tail but even hens can have them sometimes. there are some amazing threads on this site about sexing ee's and i will have to look and see if i saved it. how old are they?
edit: here it is https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463817

I also have an EE who I thought might be a boy because of the tail...but when I posted here it was an overwhelming 'female' vote! I know NOTHING about sexing chickens but based on my limited experience I would agree with the previous posts:)

Quote:
Welcome.
I know the local high school builds coops for fundraising. At least they used to. I'd ask around.
My favorite (and my kids favorite) breeds have been Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Wyandottes. We have one Black Sex-Link that I'm warming up to after she caught a mouse. These all make pretty good pets and egg layers. As mentioned, I'd stay away from the Leghorns based on what you're looking for.

Keep us posted
smile.png

Quote:
i am kinda thinking hen also. i would hate to get your hopes up but i would wait a little longer to be sure. i know s/he may have a roo like tail but even hens can have them sometimes. there are some amazing threads on this site about sexing ee's and i will have to look and see if i saved it. how old are they?
edit: here it is https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463817

I also have an EE who I thought might be a boy because of the tail...but when I posted here it was an overwhelming 'female' vote! I know NOTHING about sexing chickens but based on my limited experience I would agree with the previous posts:)

I posted another photo in the EE sexing thread. It shows some serious hackles. I'm calling boy on this one.
Also, a lady came by this afternoon and got the two boys, so that's that
smile.png

Now, for some reason I'm still over the "legal" limit on hens and I have no idea how that happened...

Back
Top Bottom