Utah!

They are darling! Has the gal that you bought them from see them yet? I am wondering about them being GLW. Yep, you lucked out like me, and got a pretty little black one. I really do love black chickens though! Wasn't that the one that had such a hard time..the second one?

Yes, the second one was the one I helped out. I don't regret it at all. It needed just a tiny bit of zipping done, and then it exploded out of the egg into my hand.

Now, it's a black color with lighter brown chipmunk stripes down its' back. It's been extremely vigorous.

I PM'd the seller last night and asked her if maybe my extra eggs were another breed (this was when I only had two hatched) and that would explain the color difference. She checked out my pictures (and possibly even the webcam?) said variation like this is normal in GLW. I am not completely convinced- I suspect two have a single comb, which is definitely not breed standard. But, I know sometimes odd things can be thrown off even in a purebreed. As long as I get one healthy adult GLW, I am ok with it. Since I am new to this breed, and I am not bent out of shape about it, I wonder what, if anything, I should say.

Instead of you going back to my page this was on, here is the link to my New Hampshire hatch. When I saw that black chick pop out, boy was I surprised. I did get hold of the seller, and he just laughed and said, oh, one of my australorp hens must have gotten into the NH pen and laid an egg. Oh well, someone now has this black baby along with some of the other NH's..and her boy loves the black one the most! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24&p=273

Quote:
lau.gif
I remember that! That was so funny and cute.

Quote:
Wyandottes can have single combs. We have a BLRW with a single comb. It hasn't been bred out of the breed because rose combs can have problems with fertility whereas the single comb doesn't.

Our single comb BLRW is one of our favorite birds, I actually think the single comb on a wyandotte is prettier.
love.gif

Yep, my research has come to the same conclusion- while it's not breed standard, it's been known to happen, and single comb wyandottes tend to have better fertility. Since I wasn't planning on showing them, i don't care.

I took a bunch of pictures of all but the newest to hatch- it's not quite fluffed out yet. Once I get them off my camera, I'll post them.

I'm thrilled that they all have such a distinct look to them. It's definitely easier to tell them apart this way. And they are so cute, and so healthy.

Granted, #7 hasn't hatched (yet?), but it did fully develop (I heard it chirping a couple days ago) and to get 6 healthy chicks from 12 shipped eggs and with goofy air sacs IN WINTER is truly amazing, I think.

All right, here's pictures of the first 5 chicks. Chick #6 hasn't fluffed up completely, so it won't get pictures til later.

Chick #1: Godzilla. Godzilla never bothered pipping into the air cell- went directly out through the small end of the egg. The air cell in the egg was still intact!
godzilla.jpg

Chick #2: HULKSMASH. Hulksmash didn't pip as much as it should've, and kept trying to smash its' way out. After 27 hours of this, I finally intervened by chipping away a couple tiny chunks of egg. It then popped out with monster truck force.
hulksmash.jpg

Chick #3: hatched at 2:30 am. Did everything the way it was supposed to.
chick03.jpg

Chick #4: hatched this morning. Pipped, but did nothing til about 8am, and then zipped and hatched within an hour or so.
chick04.jpg

Chick #5: was trying to race #4, but lost by about 5 minutes.
chick05.jpg

Hulksmash, chick #5 and chick #6 look most like my expectation of what a GLW would look like. I'm really excited to watch these little chicks grow up.

Wow, I am thinking that the second one looks like it will be a pretty GLW with the darker back ground. I thought it was all black, but it defiantly looks like a golden in this pic! If I were to question any now, it would be the first one. All of the others look like they should, some are dark, some are light...congrats! I think there has to be a girl in there somewhere!
Thinking that last one is looking rooish already. lol..check out those thick feet/toes, and the wide spread on the beak. Pretty! I am loving the second one now!

Last edited:
Quote:
You know I am one that would sooo be getting into that egg. If you decide to, and it is gone, don't feel bad, you did the right thing waiting it out this long! Especially since you heard it peeping, you gave it time to do more.

Back
Top Bottom