Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

What a long day! Only about half of my eggs have hatched. They are taking their sweet time. I have a lot of pips still, and one chick pipped at the wrong end and is having trouble getting out. I peeled away some of the shell and laid a wet paper towel over the egg to keep it moist. Going to let it rest for a bit and then take more off later.

Overall it has been a good day. One of the legbar eggs hatched and it looks like a pullet! Two more pipped, but one pipped hours ago and has done nothing since. I think it may have died. Time to get some sleep now.

Good luck everyone who is still hatching!
clap.gif

I never joined the HAL, However I set a full 48 eggs.

after a little dismay, 47 clears were removed, and the last a banty outta my coop has external pip and good activity.

by my math this may well be my first ever 100% hatch. tough call.

it is also the first run for me in this bater.

Not sure what all hatched on vday as i went to bed but i woke up to Trexroo giving me the run down on what was in the hatcher.

So far i have 4 EEs out and dry, the one future OE is out and fluffy and i have 2 Iowa blue out and fluffy.

That leaves 4 Iowa Blue eggs still to hatch 2 have pips atm and one EE left to hatch and Trexroo's egg off my Mille Fluer D'uccle which is piped and making good progress.

There was one causualty, one of the EE eggs that was side pipped started to bleedand the other chicks in the basket were pecking at it...we moved it out of the basket but it seems like it is a gonner no movement.

i know 2 EE and the future OE hatched last night before bed so they made it to the Vday Hatch date a day early...today is my day 21.

I had a chick die in the brooder last night, does that go against my hatch rate?
No it does not....the chick hatched so it counts in your favor...what happens after the fact is after the fact.

I think our final total will be 28/30. Two eggs still in the 'bator, but no pips.
So 93%! Not too shabby! Was 97% last time, but I'll take it. Love my super-easy HovaBator 1588 :)
Pics to follow.

Don't worry--this was just a super-temporary brooder when we pulled the chicks out of the incubator. Already sold six this morning!!! Hatching is so much fun!!

So far 40 chicks have hatched. One died in the brooder, and one pipped at the wrong end and couldn't get out. I opened the end of the egg and put it back in the incubator. The chick freed itself a little bit and was just resting. I think the other chicks ran it over and crushed the rest of the shell before the chick was ready. The chick had an enlarged naval area. I'm just leaving the poor thing in the incubator to rest. I don't know if he's gonna make it. One of the legbars pipped over 24 hours ago in the middle of the egg. No activity since the original pip. I opened the egg up and it looks like he drowned since the pip was nowhere near the air cell.

Other than that, the hatch has been pretty good so far. There are still a handful eggs in the incubator that have pipped and are in the process of zipping. It seems like the legbars are slow to hatch. Anything to test my patience!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom