Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

Oh such cute chick pics! Here's my crew at 2weeks old:

Well our brood mother is not the best mum.. She doesn't fend for her chicks very well anymore. got new 3 hens so put them our brood dorking and the 4 chicks with our flock. Aside from a little chasing the chicks are doing very well! I went in a few times as a safe spot so they could relax...

Well our brood mother is not the best mum.. She doesn't fend for her chicks very well anymore. got new 3 hens so put them our brood dorking and the 4 chicks with our flock. Aside from a little chasing the chicks are doing very well! I went in a few times as a safe spot so they could relax...
It's normal for hens to stop taking care of their chicks after a month or so. Those babies know how to get their food and water, and don't need her to stay warm any more.

Figured I share updates!
Silkie double cross rooster
Barred rock cross rooster
And we have no idea what this little hen is but she has some cool colours in her black feathers.
But the 3 of them still stick together in the flock, 4 months old.

Let's see how everyones chicks have grown!!
28 wks old and almost 7 months

I hatched out sexlinks from someones "barnyard mix" eggs.
Buff Orp roo over Light Brahma hens. One of my chicks ended up a purebred orp.
Someone in the breeders pen unexpectedly started laying.
I hatched 4 males that ended up being processed at 16 wks. They ended up between 3- 3 1/2 lb dressed.
The 2 sexlink hens started laying at 21-22 wks. The buff orp has not yet started, but will be soon as she was seen mated.

I love how the hens look and their personalities from this cross, I ended up buying 2 light brahma hens of my own,in May,to breed with my orp roo for sexlinks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom