Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

I reckoned on low hatch rates and went for a big mix. The LS are still inside but I have a very mixed brood in my greenhouse brooder.

Well, its a couple of hours into my Day 21 and I have already had 49 hatches and 22 pips. There are only 11 eggs that have no sign of a pip. I have already transferred 31 of my chicks out into my greenhouse brooder under the Premier1 brooder plates. I have also moved 2 of my 25 day old chicks in with them. In my past hatches I found it was helpful to the new chicks to have these slightly older chicks there for a week. The older chicks already know how to eat and drink, so its a good example for the newbies. Of course I dip the beak of every newbie in the water, and then stuff them under the brooder plate so they get a good idea of what's going on.

So that gives me a current hatch rate of 59.76%, and a potential hatch rate of 86.59%. If all the pips make it out ok, this will have been my best hatch ever
celebrate.gif

Well, its a couple of hours into my Day 21 and I have already had 49 hatches and 22 pips. There are only 11 eggs that have no sign of a pip. I have already transferred 31 of my chicks out into my greenhouse brooder under the Premier1 brooder plates. I have also moved 2 of my 25 day old chicks in with them. In my past hatches I found it was helpful to the new chicks to have these slightly older chicks there for a week. The older chicks already know how to eat and drink, so its a good example for the newbies. Of course I dip the beak of every newbie in the water, and then stuff them under the brooder plate so they get a good idea of what's going on.

So that gives me a current hatch rate of 59.76%, and a potential hatch rate of 86.59%. If all the pips make it out ok, this will have been my best hatch ever:celebrate  

Love new babies. Congrats.

So that gives me a current hatch rate of 59.76%, and a potential hatch rate of 86.59%. If all the pips make it out ok, this will have been my best hatch ever
celebrate.gif

Great news, Congratulations!

Just an update on Pip Squeak and Goliath Size is still a big difference but they are feathering out nicely. Pip is the size of the new chicks
1f602.png
1f602.png
poor little girl. 1 week old tomorrow.

Last edited:
@TJordan
I have all but the youngest in the greenhouse. I have a raised brooder for the chicks and some broilers on the floor, they basically have the full floor space of my 8 x 6 greenhouse as everything is on legs. As last years season and to a close, I brooder the broilers in the raised brooder, then when jockeys where growing and plant number where shrinking, I moved plants into the brooder and chickens onto the floor. Now chickens have taken hold of my brain, they are everywhere :s I am building an extension to the greenhouse for the chickens so I can have some space back for plants soon.
I have my next hatch due from tonight. I have one pip so far. In my fear of drying the incubator while I'm at work after my last hatch, I have filled it so full this time, when I looked this evening, some of the eggs where sitting on wet non-slip. I have dried everything off, the pipped egg is cheeping. I expect slightly wet bottoms won't be too disastrous but this incubating game ain't easy!

@TJordan
I have all but the youngest in the greenhouse. I have a raised brooder for the chicks and some broilers on the floor, they basically have the full floor space of my 8 x 6 greenhouse as everything is on legs. As last years season and to a close, I brooder the broilers in the raised brooder, then when jockeys where growing and plant number where shrinking, I moved plants into the brooder and chickens onto the floor. Now chickens have taken hold of my brain, they are everywhere :s I am building an extension to the greenhouse for the chickens so I can have some space back for plants soon.
I have my next hatch due from tonight. I have one pip so far. In my fear of drying the incubator while I'm at work after my last hatch, I have filled it so full this time, when I looked this evening, some of the eggs where sitting on wet non-slip. I have dried everything off, the pipped egg is cheeping. I expect slightly wet bottoms won't be too disastrous but this incubating game ain't easy!

So true.
1f602.png
it's not easy. Good luck on reclaiming your plants.

Here is the picture added before ar 2 days of my 4 chicks.

Here they are now at 2 weeks, barn yard mystery. so far we know one if a Leghorn, one is a Silver lace(we think silkie by the toes) cross, a Barred rock(possibly cross)Rooster and the all black one is a silkie/ (unknown yet) cross

Back
Top Bottom