Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

It was a long night! But an hour after my last post,a fam member said they were up,and at 1:52 the first chick hatched!!!! I felt so relieved! And now there are 4 out of 7 hatched. The last 3 pipped,the 5th one i would say will be out in about an hour! I can't believe the doubt I had of any hatching,has completely vanished,after waking up at 7,to 2 hatched chicks,and 3 other pipped. I'm sure i'll share better pics,when they are out of the incubator and dry enough to put in the brooder!

The top two pictures are the one's we hatched. The one that hatched last night has a bad leg. I might have to put it down. They are Orpingtons. We also got 5 BLR Wyandotts and 5 Anconas from a hatchery. And get some others from a breeder this weekend.

It was a long night! But an hour after my last post,a fam member said they were up,and at 1:52 the first chick hatched!!!! I felt so relieved! And now there are 4 out of 7 hatched. The last 3 pipped,the 5th one i would say will be out in about an hour! I can't believe the doubt I had of any hatching,has completely vanished,after waking up at 7,to 2 hatched chicks,and 3 other pipped. I'm sure i'll share better pics,when they are out of the incubator and dry enough to put in the brooder!
yesss.gif
Congratulations!

Lockdown day! 11 out of 24 made it to lockdown! Fingers crossed all 11 hatch!
Good luck!
fl.gif

The top two pictures are the one's we hatched. The one that hatched last night has a bad leg. I might have to put it down. They are Orpingtons. We also got 5 BLR Wyandotts and 5 Anconas from a hatchery. And get some others from a breeder this weekend.
Are the Anconas the black and white ones? I was thinking about getting a couple since I don't have any white egg layers.

All 7 hatched!!
One is back in the incubator drying, turns out the waterer bases at tsc,have been redesigned over the past few yrs,as the top didnt seal right with the base,leaked out,and 2 of the chicks got wet. One not so bad,and is still in the brooder,but the last hatched is the soaked one,so is back in the incubator til it dries. It's moving and peeping tho.

All 7 hatched!!
One is back in the incubator drying, turns out the waterer bases at tsc,have been redesigned over the past few yrs,as the top didnt seal right with the base,leaked out,and 2 of the chicks got wet. One not so bad,and is still in the brooder,but the last hatched is the soaked one,so is back in the incubator til it dries. It's moving and peeping tho.

If you have a hairdryer turn it on low and mild heat and blow dry it. They love the hairdryer
1f602.png
1f602.png

All 7 hatched!!

Jacks, I'm so glad you got to experience a successful hatch. Just a little more than a day ago I was cringing at your suggestion you were going to assist after only 24 hours. I meant to post this link then, but decided it would be better for you to see for yourself.

Anyway, here is @Sally Sunshine 's Step by Step Guide to Assisted Hatching - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching (I don't know why the editor won't let me put links into posts anymore). As Sally says right up top; "Most new hatcher's assist too soon and too fast"...

My lockdown started at 2:00pm today (30 minutes ago). I've put 83 into lockdown, and I have the best feeling I've ever had with a setting. My weight loss has been consistently on target (or within a few grams of target). Right now my average weight loss is 12.26%, and at this time ideal weight loss is 12.00%, so that is awesome. Hatch day starts after 2:00pm on 2/20.

On the downside, the recent ridiculous cold snap we just experienced here caused my layers to stop producing eggs (well, down from 15/day to 2/day), so my next hatch may either be delayed or I may end up using older eggs (up to 15 day old eggs). I'll probably stick to my schedule and just use older eggs. I'll be setting 100 on 2/23.

Congratulations to all the first time hatchers. Whether you got 1, or all, you'll never have to say you've never done it before again. You've got some experience now, for good or for bad, and your next setting will be different. You will look for more of something, candle at a different time or in a different way, handle lockdown a little different, or try different eggs...the journey will get more interesting...;-]

If you have a hairdryer turn it on low and mild heat and blow dry it. They love the hairdryer
1f602.png
1f602.png
I don't have much hair to need a hair dryer! It was in the incubator for a fee hours. Seemed weak,as i found it on its back once,so after a few hours, its partially dry and i tried getting it to drink an electroltye water. The other chick is dry,but the fluff is still sticking to the chicks body. Any way to help that or just wait til they eventually preen themselves?

Back
Top Bottom