Vermont

I'll also have chicks in 3 weeks, plus fertile eggs now - AND I have a great young rooster looking for a home

So if you get a rooster - it is too late for this hen - she wants to sit and brood on eggs for 3-4 weeks ... well - I guess you could put him right in - but it is best to keep a new bird separate from the flock for a while - letting their bodies get used to all the germs on both in small does - plus gettting the new birds used to the sounds and smells and such of the new home.

We had a rooster that we had to rehome last year. Evasive he kept atacking our daughter. Such a bummer too because he was so nice and then changed instantly. So we aren't interested in a rooster at this time. What kind of eggs do you have? Where are you? I have heard of people letting their hen sit on dud eggs and then sneaking chicks under at night, would that be easier?

I've heard of people being successful with the peep switch - but I have never found my hens accept any they don't actually hatch out.

I live in Brandon but am going to Middlebury this afternoon I have Marans and EE mixes and spitzhauben type chickens - plus spiztx mixed with blue egg layers - as available fertile eggs.

Pyxis has Ayam Cemani and some other types I can't recall now - very lovely animals !

I've heard of people being successful with the peep switch - but I have never found my hens accept any they don't actually hatch out.

I live in Brandon but am going to Middlebury this afternoon I have Marans and EE mixes and spitzhauben type chickens - plus spiztx mixed with blue egg layers - as available fertile eggs.

Pyxis has Ayam Cemani and some other types I can't recall now - very lovely animals !

My hubby is going to knock up a little brooder today so I would be able to get some eggs this week... I would just prefer some breeds that are friendly to kids and winter hardy. Not sure about those breeds you have, would they work?

I'm in Fair Haven VT :)

1f62c.png
That's pretty far for me, I'll poke around a little more here in central VT and if I can't find anyone I'll let you know! Thanks!

I've got frizzles, easter eggers, and olive eggers laying now.
and they're beautiful!!

My hubby is going to knock up a little brooder today so I would be able to get some eggs this week... I would just prefer some breeds that are friendly to kids and winter hardy. Not sure about those breeds you have, would they work?
i hatched eggs from Pyxis and they are beautiful and inquisitive birds, mine aren't super friendly but are not mean at all, but I did not handle them at all, like zero
But a couple (the frizzles) will let me touch them briefly when I feed them lol and let me get close but not touch the rest of the time

And if you want some of her EE - Pyxis and I see each other often - I can get the eggs from her if you want and can deliver around Middlebury, Brandon or such ??

Just a thought :)

Back
Top Bottom