Was I bamboozled by a TS employee?

This is what Purina said after seeing the pictures:
I am sorry you got product that had so many fines.  No, we do not want our pelleted products to look like this.  It is possible that someone forgot to set off the first or last several bags of the run.  Humans make mistakes sometimes, which is why we have a satisfaction guarantee.  You may take any bag you are not happy with back to your dealer for either a refund or a replacement. We want you to be happy with the product!  As for color variations -- we do not add any color masking ingredients to our products, so they may vary in color from batch to batch depending on variations in ingredient color.  For instance, soybean meal can be light golden to caramel brown in color, which can have a significant impact on the color of the end product.  If you could provide me with the date code off of the bags purchased in Gilroy, we can trace this back to the relevant batch at the plant.  The date code should be stamped on the bag or tape and will look similar to the one shown in the thread.  It will start with 4 (for 2014) and should give the month and the three-letter plant designation (in this case, probably TRL).  Thank you!!

I just went on to Facebook, and on the chicken vet corner page someone asked about feeding layer to roosters. This was the vet's response:

"This has been addressed several times on here, but in a nutshell, no it is definitely not got for them (yes I know lots of people do it and their roosters didn't die, but lots of people smoke a pack a day and live to a ripe old age, doesn't mean it's good for you, or that I'm going to let my kid start smoking). Dr. L"

Thought it was interesting that it came up today. LOL

I would like to know where the theory about corn providing more "heat" than a prepared blended food. A calorie is a calorie, no matter the source. As I understand it, fat content may play a role, as it is high in calories and usually slower to be digested, thus perhaps "staying in the system" longer. But, calorie for calorie, either feed or corn should provide a similar amount of "heat". I would love for someone to provide some actual documentation regarding the theory that "corn is superior for providing heat". From the reading I've done, fat content of corn closely matches that of layer pellets, and layer pellets often have corn as their main ingredient. So, let's see a study that supports the corn and winter heat statements.

As for Dumour compared to other brands, if Dumour is what the wallet will tolerate, then, Dumour is what the flock will eat. I readily switch back and forth between 2 local feed stores, buying which ever feed happens to be cheaper or fitting into my travel plans. I prefer the competing brand, but, my wallet makes the purchasing decisions, and my birds happily eat either brand. By far, the most important purchasing decision is driven by the mill date on the feed bag. If the feed is not fresh, I refuse to buy it, no matter who makes it.

Last edited:
Yes, you were right. Flockraiser is fine, as long as you offer oyster shell for the laying birds. The biggest concern is probably feeding layer feed to birds that are younger than laying age, which it sounds like you have.

Some people do feed a higher protein feed (which could include meat feed) during molting and winter. It's not necessary, but can be done.

The angel wing thing is more than likely fiction. lol Angel wing does exist, but I believe it's genetic, not from eating bread products. Don't worry about feeding your chickens table scraps in moderation as long as you're also offering grit.

Everyone has opinions on the right way to raise chickens - including me.
big_smile.png
He was probably super excited to share his with you tonight!

Last edited:
No, you never actually have to purchase layer feed at all. All a laying hen needs is access to a source of calcium, which can easily be provided. They will take what they need. Flock Raiser is the only thing I have ever fed.
Angel wings occurs in ducks, and is caused by a thiamine deficiency, which is why you should never feed ducklings medicated starter. It is not a normal occurrence in chickens, regardless of what is fed.
Most TSC employees have little first hand knowledge when it comes to raising any sort of poultry. They aren't very well trained either. You can't trust that they know what they are talking about. Return the layer feed. It is not a safe or appropriate choice for your flock. The effects of high calcium diets in non-laying birds is well researched. Numerous studies have been conducted and the results are unanimous. It will cause kidney damage to the point of kidney failure, resulting in death.

You've been breeding your own birds, yes?  Just playing the devil's advocate here.  If you're breeding your own birds, it's possible that the increased longevity of your roos is related to steadily improving genetic quality in your stock due to your husbandry methods.
Some are home bred, some are hatchery birds. My bantams were always fed grower for half the year because of chicks, my large breed were always fed layer and all rooster died by 4 where my bantam roosters lived longer. Also 3 bantam roosters who resided in the large breed shed and were kept away from the layer by the large breed roosters are still around at 7 years old. They have lived mostly on scratch and free range.

My oldest large breed rooster was about to turn 4 when I switched to an all flock, he was looking old and I thought he was going to go. He has perked up and now is like a younger roosters again. He is currently 5. I need a few more years to know for sure, but it's what I am seeing in my roosters which I keep plenty of. In my opinion layer isn't good for any backyard flock as it's formulated for confined layer who eat nothing else. Roosters were never meant to eat it. This is all my own opinion and observations, and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Another myth? That layer feed is bad for roosters. Poppycock. Been feeding layer feed to all ages for 40 yrs without any health issues at all....never have illness in my flocks. They consume MUCH higher calcium levels in simple clover than they could ever get in layer rations, so the whole calcium debate is a moot point.
I can't say if it's poppycock or not, roosters is new to me. But I don't see it as the best option. Studies can come out either way, I'm sure depending on who sponsors it. And maybe it mainly has an effect if predisposed.
hu.gif

For me, layer doesn't meet the nutritional need of my mixed age and gender flock. I know plenty of people feed it for years without issue. Have heard from some on here who specifically had that issue as well though. And while my birds may forage on clover they don't over focus on it per say... If it's mixed in the feed they can't avoid it. I was wondering what the approximate nutritional value of my pasture was and how to come up with the answer, just earlier today.

Back
Top Bottom