Was I bamboozled by a TS employee?

I haven't seen anything that bad.

I get that there's a lot of dust in the valley, That's why we left. But you would think with all the ag stuff in the area that their product should be better.
hmm.png

I'll have to see where the stuff I am getting is milled at, for curiosity.

I haven't seen anything that bad.

I get that there's a lot of dust in the valley, That's why we left. But you would think with all the ag stuff in the area that their product should be better.
hmm.png

I'll have to see where the stuff I am getting is milled at, for curiosity.
Even the scratch grains and rolled corn from that mill are powder. I complained, but it didn't seem to matter.
sad.png

-Kathy

Here's why I don't buy feed from the mill in Turlock:
So you can buy the same exact brand/formulation from another mill and it's not dusty like that?
Those were Purina Lay Powder, um I mean Lay Pellets, lol. All fed stores around me that carry Purina get their stock from the Turlock mill, so I can't verify that, though anyone else that has purchased non-Turlock Purina Lay pellets could. -Kathy

This is what Purina said after seeing the pictures:
I am sorry you got product that had so many fines.  No, we do not want our pelleted products to look like this.  It is possible that someone forgot to set off the first or last several bags of the run.  Humans make mistakes sometimes, which is why we have a satisfaction guarantee.  You may take any bag you are not happy with back to your dealer for either a refund or a replacement. We want you to be happy with the product!  As for color variations -- we do not add any color masking ingredients to our products, so they may vary in color from batch to batch depending on variations in ingredient color.  For instance, soybean meal can be light golden to caramel brown in color, which can have a significant impact on the color of the end product.  If you could provide me with the date code off of the bags purchased in Gilroy, we can trace this back to the relevant batch at the plant.  The date code should be stamped on the bag or tape and will look similar to the one shown in the thread.  It will start with 4 (for 2014) and should give the month and the three-letter plant designation (in this case, probably TRL).  Thank you!!

I feed All-flock with oyster shell on the side. Why? Because I want to. Yep, that's it, pure and simple! Oh, it started innocently enough...had a flock of chicks and adults together and couldn't keep them out of each other's food. Being relatively new to chickens, the logical thing for me to do was put them all on one food, and "studies showed and the experts said" that layer would harm the rest of my birds. But the determining factor turned out to be my pocketbook and time. I only have to drive 50 miles one way to get the All-flock pellets as opposed to 100 miles one way to get the layer pellets. I have never been able to talk the owner of the closer store to get pellets instead of dust, er, crumbles, but he does carry the All Flock in pelleted form. So there ya go. That said, when new folks ask, I have a tendency to suggest All-flock over layer, and I should probably stop doing that since my own reasons for feeding it are vague at best.

As for studies, I have zero faith in 90% of them. Examples:

Studies show butter bad, margarine good. A couple of years later studies show margarine bad, butter good.
Studies show any kind of alcohol in any form bad....a few years later studies show red wine good.
Eggs, bad. No, eggs good.

It goes on and on, from light bulbs to crops. If you can find a study on one side, you'll likely find another on the opposite side.

Studies by experts don't trump experience because they don't reflect real life - my life.

So I feed All-Flock. My own experience, limited though that is, shows me that my birds are doing fine on it. That's all I need to know, and I don't have to drive for 4 hours to get it. If layer pellets were available at the closer store I'd be flip-flopping this entire post.
lau.gif

I just went on to Facebook, and on the chicken vet corner page someone asked about feeding layer to roosters. This was the vet's response:

"This has been addressed several times on here, but in a nutshell, no it is definitely not got for them (yes I know lots of people do it and their roosters didn't die, but lots of people smoke a pack a day and live to a ripe old age, doesn't mean it's good for you, or that I'm going to let my kid start smoking). Dr. L"

Thought it was interesting that it came up today. LOL

Back
Top Bottom