Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

OP.....no, the nipples don't freeze. The plunger inside the nipple is made of stainless steel, so the warmth from the water transfers through the nipple.

Paul

I don't recommend this. Very dangerous. I'm the fire hazard police.

Could very well have been the source of orgin of my fire that burned down my barn. It shocked us a few times, and the fire Marshall told us how dangerous this is.

Products MUST be fire safe when you deal with water and electricity.

Now having said that, this product is way too over priced. Just get the heated waterer from the farm store. Ours cost around $50.

I agree - safety first! I have found that sometimes it is just worth buying the right product and spending a little bit more but have something works. Here is the heated poultry waterer that has worked like a charm for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...784486&sr=1-1&keywords=poultry+heated+waterer

It IS a steep 42 dollars but takes care of the problem and comes with peace of mind. By the way, I keep this in the covered run away from flammable bedding inside the hen house.

Quote:
Could very well have been the source of orgin of my fire that burned down my barn. It shocked us a few times, and the fire Marshall told us how dangerous this is.

Products MUST be fire safe when you deal with water and electricity.

Now having said that, this product is way too over priced. Just get the heated waterer from the farm store. Ours cost around $50.

I agree - safety first! I have found that sometimes it is just worth buying the right product and spending a little bit more but have something works. Here is the heated poultry waterer that has worked like a charm for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...784486&sr=1-1&keywords=poultry+heated+waterer

It IS a steep 42 dollars but takes care of the problem and comes with peace of mind. By the way, I keep this in the covered run away from flammable bedding inside the hen house.

Hm!! That looks awesome!! Unfortunately, my chickens' coop is ALL bedding. They have half a a shed for the winter, so yes I do have electricity in the coop, earlybird. :) I have an outdoors extension cord that I plug a light in so the girls can have light throughout the day.

This is the one I use as well. It does keep the water unfrozen, but I find it hard to attach the base. Either way, it does what it says. It can be around bedding. These waterers are meant for chickens. I do lift it up off the ground because shavings get kicked in and dirty the water, so I suggest doing that to anyone. I use an upside down oil pan. You can use bricks as well.

Sooo.... What would be my best bet for the winter? The kitty pad, the base, or the dog bowl....
Dog bowl or actual waterer.

If you have bearded birds, the dog bowl will be fine. They won't have big wattles to dip in it. I never had any issues with open water like this and frost bite on the wattles, but I did have a hen fly into the bowl and lose her toes to frost bite.. I had rubber bowls. They were not heated. She got spooked, I was there to get her out right away, but it was the coldest day of the year -40 and her feet froze instantly pretty much.

You said it doesn't get very cold there, so the heated dog bowls will work well for you.

The heated dog bowls are the way to go for most people. Be sure and get the large size that holds 5-6 quarts. You can buy inexpensive stainless dog bowls at Walmart ($ 3) to use as inserts in these, or use 1 gallon ice cream pails so that you can switch them out for easy washing. Also can find old baking dishes for same purpose.

Back
Top Bottom