Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

Thanks for the quick reply. I imagine our temps are about the same so I'll follow your lead and avoid the heat and lights for now. My hubby will be glad. I don't think he wanted to mess with adding electricity to the coop. I've enjoyed our chickens. We got 7 chicklets in April, and now they are big fluffy gals. They are all laying. Often I get 7 eggs a day from the 7 hens. Here's hoping for good winter weather in Texas this year!

Beth

We have the large Rubber Bowls from Tractor Supply.

We have had them for years. Living in northern Indiana it has gotten cold enough inside the barn to freeze.

I take out warm water in the mornings as fresh water filling the bowls half full. Late afternoon when feeding we fill the rest of the bowls with warm water. If the weather is cold enough inside the barn I simply place a light bulb protected with metal mesh over the dishes. I think you could buy infer red bulbs and do not know the cost. I have used the same bowls for 15 years. Always carry a hammer with you to turn the bowls over daily and knock out whatever ice that has formed and to clean out the bowls.

I was wondering what people do to keep the inside of the coops/barns warm on very windy cold nights? I don't want to use light cause that messes up mother's nature for laying. I will not use any sort of electric heaters for fear of causing a fire. I do have electricity in the barn, but have never done much, but to watch for sick birds and bring them inside which again I know I cannot leave inside for any longer than a day or just for the night!

I am going to get a galvanized heater base with thermostat and a galvanized 4 or 5 gallon waterer at a local ranch supply store and put it in the coop and plug it in this winter. Total cost about $90 but they should last for years, and be safe. It will only come on below 40 Degrees and any heat lost will go inside of the coop. I plan to set the base up on a couple of 2" thick concrete blocks to keep the water cleaner longer. The four or five gallons of water should last my 13 chickens about a week in the winter. I will store my plastic waterers over the winter. I figure they will only last a couple of more years due to the UV (sunlight) damage anyway. I like the rubber bowl idea but I am afraid it would freeze up too often because it can be below 20 F. for many days and nights in a row here.

I don't recommend this. Very dangerous. I'm the fire hazard police.

Could very well have been the source of orgin of my fire that burned down my barn. It shocked us a few times, and the fire Marshall told us how dangerous this is.

Products MUST be fire safe when you deal with water and electricity.

Now having said that, this product is way too over priced. Just get the heated waterer from the farm store. Ours cost around $50.
the most likely reason the tin lamp shocked you was that it was wired wrong, im an electrician and if you wire up a light socket up backwards instead of the button at the bottom of the socket being energized when the switch was turned on the threads were. witch means there has constant power running threw it even when the switch was turned off. the side on the wire that is usualy the hot side has a few grooves on the cord its self thus telling you which side of the cord is polarized. so if you want to do that it would be ok to use a light socket, but just remember to wire it right or you will have a fire. they also make and sell outdoor single sockets for relitivly cheep. but if your going to do it you should do it right. and not end up like Tim Taylor from Tool Time.

Do most of you use a light bulb in the coop in the winter or a heat lamp? I'm in Texas and winter days below 30 degrees happen but not very often. This is my first flock so I'm not sure what to do about lights or water. Appreciate the comments.

I have 7 young Barred Rocks in a sturdy wooden coop.

Beth
I use light in the barn during the day because it gets very dark here during the winter, and no one seems to want to venture out far. My lighting is extremely safe (NOW). All wiring is done right. I was sure of it when they rebuilt.

Make sure you have an enclosed light if you are going to use one. Just a lightbulb gets dusty and if it bursts, it could very likely cause a fire.

Never use extension cords with animals around. If you MUST - get a contractor grade extension cord that can take the dust. We have 30 outlets in the barn so I won't ever have to use an extension cord again - which is the cause of our fire.

which looked like this the next day.

Please be safe. I never thought it could happen to me, but it did. I know two other people that had barn fires last winter as well.

the most likely reason the tin lamp shocked you was that it was wired wrong, im an electrician and if you wire up a light socket up backwards instead of the button at the bottom of the socket being energized when the switch was turned on the threads were. witch means there has constant power running threw it even when the switch was turned off. the side on the wire that is usualy the hot side has a few grooves on the cord its self thus telling you which side of the cord is polarized. so if you want to do that it would be ok to use a light socket, but just remember to wire it right or you will have a fire. they also make and sell outdoor single sockets for relitivly cheep. but if your going to do it you should do it right. and not end up like Tim Taylor from Tool Time.

Thing is, so many of us are not electricians. If you feel it's safe - and know your stuff (which you seem to do) I don't see any issue with it.

I used a lamp kit. It looked so simple, not sure how I could have wired it wrong.

Last edited:
I love my water heater from Rural King. For $24 it holds 3 gallons. You plug it in and it keeps the water thawed when temps reach to a low 32* it turns on and shuts off at 40*. My coop sits a ways from my house so I don't have to keep walking back and forth all day during the winter with snow to keep their water from freezing. I don't have to mess with it.

I love my water heater from Rural King. For $24 it holds 3 gallons. You plug it in and it keeps the water thawed when temps reach to a low 32* it turns on and shuts off at 40*. My coop sits a ways from my house so I don't have to keep walking back and forth all day during the winter with snow to keep their water from freezing. I don't have to mess with it.

That sounds awesome! Could you post a link?

Water heaters are they worth it? YES. Egg production depends on getting enough water. My heater ensures that my chickens have access 24 hours a day when ever they want it. I don't have to worry that it freezes in between times when I can get to it. Sure they can survive by getting it a couple of times a day but they don't thrive.

Water heaters are they worth it? YES. Egg production depends on getting enough water. My heater ensures that my chickens have access 24 hours a day when ever they want it. I don't have to worry that it freezes in between times when I can get to it. Sure they can survive by getting it a couple of times a day but they don't thrive.

AAahhh..... My Dad will be happy to hear that! I think I am going to get one, just not sure what yet-- I'm leaning towards the heated dog bowl...

Back
Top Bottom