Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

I'm in Canada where it can drop to -40. Plus I'm off grid. All I have for utilities is a wood stove. I suppose once I invest in some solar panels and a windmill I can go with the heated dog dish, but for now it's replacing the rubber dishes twice a day with hot water.
thumbsup.gif

Yes I must admit I do, but unfortunately "black" chickens are easily spotted from the air and I lost a pullet to a hawk/falcon late spring. Something I never considered. I'm not too disappointed though since it's the first and hopefully the last.

Be aware that predatory birds do migrate through.

I know exactly what you mean.. Stupid hawks.. I am keeping everyone in for a few days to force them to look elsewhere for food. It worked last year. Fingers crossed... Goats and geese allowed out, but everyone else is in the barn. Thankfully it is huge and plenty of room for them to spread out. They've been taking cover from the hawks a lot lately, so it's not much of a change anyway.

We're up to 5 birds killed this year and two injured. One pretty badly injured - big tear on back of neck, but I know how chickens are quite good healers with wounds like that. It didn't lose much blood - so I've coated it up really good with coconut oil. In my experience this is the best natural infection fighter. Plus I didn't have anything like polysporin or blue kote on hand.

Winter is definitely coming.. I think I am going to use rubber bowls this year again. I don't want to spend the money for heated dishes, but I will get heated buckets for the goats.

Keeping them outside is always how I do it. Too much moisture for the coop.

thumbsup.gif

I know exactly what you mean.. Stupid hawks.. I am keeping everyone in for a few days to force them to look elsewhere for food. It worked last year. Fingers crossed... Goats and geese allowed out, but everyone else is in the barn. Thankfully it is huge and plenty of room for them to spread out. They've been taking cover from the hawks a lot lately, so it's not much of a change anyway.

We're up to 5 birds killed this year and two injured. One pretty badly injured - big tear on back of neck, but I know how chickens are quite good healers with wounds like that. It didn't lose much blood - so I've coated it up really good with coconut oil. In my experience this is the best natural infection fighter. Plus I didn't have anything like polysporin or blue kote on hand.

Winter is definitely coming.. I think I am going to use rubber bowls this year again. I don't want to spend the money for heated dishes, but I will get heated buckets for the goats.

Keeping them outside is always how I do it. Too much moisture for the coop.

I do have two half hoops that I use the black rubber bowls for. What I do like about them is that when you turn them over to break out the ice in the morning all the back wash comes with it, keeping them cleaner.

They must be okay cuz the BM's laid very well during the winter.

I do have two half hoops that I use the black rubber bowls for. What I do like about them is that when you turn them over to break out the ice in the morning all the back wash comes with it, keeping them cleaner.

They must be okay cuz the BM's laid very well during the winter.

I have to be careful with the ice that comes out. I got it with my snow blower last year and I nearly had a heart attack. I need to keep a pile away from where we clear out, so not to hurt my snowblower or myself.

That ice flies... Could break a window...

I need open water for the ducks and geese. That is why I chose to use them last year, and why I will probably go with them again this year.

I hate it that it is almost October and I still am not ready for winter! Last winter I had 30 layers over the winter and used a heat lamp over the top of my plastic waterer but didn't like this method cause I can't get the light too close! I am thinking of getting a heated bucket and putting nipples in the bottom of it. Anyone have any experience with this? I am in Ohio so am used to unpredictable temps all winter long!

I hate it that it is almost October and I still am not ready for winter! Last winter I had 30 layers over the winter and used a heat lamp over the top of my plastic waterer but didn't like this method cause I can't get the light too close! I am thinking of getting a heated bucket and putting nipples in the bottom of it. Anyone have any experience with this? I am in Ohio so am used to unpredictable temps all winter long!

x2!! I am not ready at all... I think that I might just go with the heated dog bowl.

I have seen many BYCers mention the buck waterer with nipples and a birdbath heater;

This should be a perfect set up...

I have one of these and I bought it years ago, still works, safe and I have plastic waterers. You Can buy them much less expensive than the one you found, just google it..
I am talking about the one from Strombergs that the threadstarter was talking about.

Last edited:

I would not risk damaging a heated bucket. Plus with the five gallon bucket, Val Mart is cheapest , you can use more than one nipple. Up to four I think. Plus you can keep more water and only have to fill it every few days. They waste less water and it doesn't get dirty, if you place a lid on top. (no risk of fliers ending up in the water either).

Last edited:
The heated dog bowls are the way to go for most people.  Be sure and get the large size that holds 5-6 quarts. You can buy inexpensive stainless dog bowls at Walmart ($ 3) to use as inserts in these, or use 1 gallon ice cream pails so that you can switch them out for easy washing. Also can find old  baking dishes for same purpose.

What if u need a emergency heater

Back
Top Bottom