Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

For the last five years ive just used a black bowl and a fish heater. Its simple and cheap. Course im sure its not for every one but it keeps my chickens chicken happy and myself.

Just be careful if you use this type since they can catch on fire.

That looks like an fine example of RedChinese engineering, No thanks. I much more trust MY engineering than some of the junk I've seem from china. I built a cookie tin water heater for under $5. It has been in use for the last three winters with absolutely NO problem. I just put a fresh 40W bulb in it, and go. I added a ThermoCube last year to control it better. If you get shocked by a cookie tin heater, then you have built it WRONG. You probably left wires exposed against the metal tin, which will most definitely get you shocked. Below is my setup, an older pic, but it's the same to day, with a different set of characters. The tin can be seen at the right.
900x900px-LL-0b0fa4a5_55557_img_1367.jpeg

Last edited:
I know I am coming late into this feed. But I read in a chicken mag this past week about the rubber bowls and to add a couple ping pong balls to the dish. Since they are light any kind of breeze or movement will make them move keeping your surface water from staying still and freezing up quicker!

I've only been trough one winter with my chickens, but it was very dirty and aggravating trying to bring warm water to them that would just freeze within an hour. Plus, I can't always see them every single day. So far, I am really thinking about getting a water heater.

Instead of a cookie tin I use a popcorn tin it's like a cookie tin but taller, I then but about 4-5 inches of gravel in the bottom which makes it heavy so it won't tip over. I used a lamp kit with a 40w bulb. It's cheap to make and works great even in -30F weather.

I'm in Canada where it can drop to -40. Plus I'm off grid. All I have for utilities is a wood stove. I suppose once I invest in some solar panels and a windmill I can go with the heated dog dish, but for now it's replacing the rubber dishes twice a day with hot water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom