Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

I use a large heated dog bowl. Fill it about 2/3 full and place the lid from a plastic 5 gallon bucket on top. Then set your regular plastic gravity type waterer on the lid. I keeps the water warm enough to stay thawed on all but the very coldest days and no worries about getting heads in water.. I change the water in the bowl occasionally so it doesn't get too grungy.

We don't have a climate for heated waterers. In the coldest months, we use the same 5 gallon fountain in the winter as is used in the summer(and in the summer a frozen gallon jug is placed in the fountain). With temps usually only dipping into the 20s (lowest of the season), the large fountain placed in a sunny place doesn't freeze. -really like a top fill 5 gallon fountain (even though we only have 7 standard birds that use it). -makes things very easy during cold snaps or heat waves.

Hello, I've been looking into getting water heaters for my flock this year... I found this one on Stromberg's, but the price was CRAZY!! Here it is: http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/universal-electric-fount-heater/fount-heaters I need one that works with a plastic base, because plastic is what I have... Anyways-- looking at the prices I can't just go buying these willy-nilly, and I have two waterers, though I'm not sure I'll need two since my hens and pullets might be integrated by then, so we'll see.... So are they worth the price? And do they last long? Also, are there any cheaper deals that I can get??? Thanks a bunch!! -chickencrazy429

These can keep temps into upper 70s and 80s depending on the size. I don't think I need to resort to this here in So. Cal.
I have used these for my snake tanks. They last, they are cheap to use. Check them out;
http://www.bigalspets.com/reptither...son+Shopping&gclid=CLSw_vSG6rkCFWuCQgodZzIAzw

Bucket, nipples and an aquarium heater. Clean water using no more electricity than a light bulb. No worry about electric shorts or water in the bedding. I use a 2.5 gallon bucket. I find that when the chickens do not have to dip their beaks in water, I have a lot less frostbite problems.

This is the best and cheapest set up. As long as the nipples don't leak. I use a 5 gal bucket, fills automatically. The only concern would be the pipes to the nipples and the nipples themselves freezing. Depending on local...

We currently have eight bantams. So, I can bundle up, clean the coop and feed and water in about 15 minutes. Then 5 minutes to check the water a time or two during the day and break the ice. Even during bad ice storms it's not that big a deal. Now if we had a BUNCH of chickens and it took a long time it would be a different story. Then my wife would have to do it cause I don't like cold weather. LOL!

I just caught sight of this posting. All I can offer is what I do.

First I don't keep water inside coops.

Two I bring hot water each morning and afternoon to the coops without a heated waterer and fill the black rubber tubs, during the winter.

C. I have two coops that have five gallon buckets with nipples and heaters during the winter. BUT I also use the red gallon waterers with hot water, since they seem to drink a lot and prefer them. The heated waterers are a back up so they always have water. These are also outside in the runs on the main coop. Hoops just get fresh water twice a day. I'm in NY so hot water is tepid by the time it gets to them. I carry it in gallon milk jugs in my little red wagon.

4. In answer to you question are they worth it? Depends on how dedicated you are to your chickens. My heated waterers still get green in them and have to be rinsed out, during the warmer days and I don't like that. Five gallon buckets are heavy and can't be filled completely. For me they ARE worth it since I don't have to water every coop every day. This year I will add a third to the back hoop coop. So for convenience, YES they are worth it.

E. Just don't expect a heated waterer to eliminate having to make sure they have clean water every day.

Three runs are covered with plastic, though not tightly, so they have dry ground to walk on. I add more straw or shavings as needed. Heated waterers don't freeze inside them.

I just caught sight of this posting. All I can offer is what I do.

First I don't keep water inside coops.

Two I bring hot water each morning and afternoon to the coops without a heated waterer and fill the black rubber tubs, during the winter.

C. I have two coops that have five gallon buckets with nipples and heaters during the winter. BUT I also use the red gallon waterers with hot water, since they seem to drink a lot and prefer them. The heated waterers are a back up so they always have water. These are also outside in the runs on the main coop. Hoops just get fresh water twice a day. I'm in NY so hot water is tepid by the time it gets to them. I carry it in gallon milk jugs in my little red wagon.

4. In answer to you question are they worth it? Depends on how dedicated you are to your chickens. My heated waterers still get green in them and have to be rinsed out, during the warmer days and I don't like that. Five gallon buckets are heavy and can't be filled completely. For me they ARE worth it since I don't have to water every coop every day. This year I will add a third to the back hoop coop. So for convenience, YES they are worth it.

E. Just don't expect a heated waterer to eliminate having to make sure they have clean water every day.

Three runs are covered with plastic, though not tightly, so they have dry ground to walk on. I add more straw or shavings as needed. Heated waterers don't freeze inside them.

Looks like someone had fun with their snowblower ;)

Do most of you use a light bulb in the coop in the winter or a heat lamp? I'm in Texas and winter days below 30 degrees happen but not very often. This is my first flock so I'm not sure what to do about lights or water. Appreciate the comments.

I have 7 young Barred Rocks in a sturdy wooden coop.

Beth

I live in North Central Texas. I do not use any form of lighting/heating in the winter. When four 16-week-old birds moved outdoors last fall, I placed a heat lamp for them on about three occasions when it got very cool over night. After that - nothing. The birds tend to huddle together on the roost and have adequate feathers for insulation given the climate here. -of note, our girls were excellent layers all winter long! They seemed to thrive in the cool/cold weather. The egg production dropped significantly this past August when the temps spiked.

Back
Top Bottom