Water Heaters!!!! Are they really worth it??

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but I found a video on you tube for a heated automatic water system. I looks easy and cheep to make, I'm going to give it a try. Here is the link to the video

Looks like someone had fun with their snowblower ;)

Yes I must admit I do, but unfortunately "black" chickens are easily spotted from the air and I lost a pullet to a hawk/falcon late spring. Something I never considered. I'm not too disappointed though since it's the first and hopefully the last.

Be aware that predatory birds do migrate through.

I use light in the barn during the day because it gets very dark here during the winter, and no one seems to want to venture out far. My lighting is extremely safe (NOW). All wiring is done right. I was sure of it when they rebuilt.

Make sure you have an enclosed light if you are going to use one. Just a lightbulb gets dusty and if it bursts, it could very likely cause a fire.

Never use extension cords with animals around. If you MUST - get a contractor grade extension cord that can take the dust. We have 30 outlets in the barn so I won't ever have to use an extension cord again - which is the cause of our fire.

which looked like this the next day.

Please be safe. I never thought it could happen to me, but it did. I know two other people that had barn fires last winter as well.

Thing is, so many of us are not electricians. If you feel it's safe - and know your stuff (which you seem to do) I don't see any issue with it.

I used a lamp kit. It looked so simple, not sure how I could have wired it wrong.

Ditto on the heavy duty cords. I have cords run to the coops but don't leave a light on. I did use a heat light one year but it's expensive and not worth it. My heated waterers are in the runs NOT in the coops. It's not worth the risk.

Chickens like to fly up and they have knocked things down. I do have a light and fan plugged into a power strip inside so i can turn them off without turning the yard lights off.

Keep in mind folks that you can order lower wattage red heat lights on line. IMO 250 is way to high for brooders and NOT necessary. I don't advise using them inside a coop.

I know I am coming late into this feed. But I read in a chicken mag this past week about the rubber bowls and to add a couple ping pong balls to the dish. Since they are light any kind of breeze or movement will make them move keeping your surface water from staying still and freezing up quicker!

This type of non-freezing water is employed for horse troughs as well.. just change to a basketball :)

Check out the plug in heated dog dishes. Much cheaper and hold quite a bit of water depending on the size you get. Easy enought to fill with an empty plastic milk container washed out and filled with water. I have had one for 2 years and never had a problem.

Check out the plug in heated dog dishes. Much cheaper and hold quite a bit of water depending on the size you get. Easy enought to fill with an empty plastic milk container washed out and filled with water. I have had one for 2 years and never had a problem.

This is exaclty what I plan to do. Got the idea from the inventions thread, or cold weather thread.
Am gonna use a vinegar bottle, with a plug I put on the side of it, to make a slow fill waterer in the bowl, then bring tap/just done boiling water hot out there a couple times per day, to help it stay warm. But I just saw someone mention be careful of wattles and chest feathers getting wet then cold with them... so to fill the bowl 2/3 full with water, then a shallow pie pan type thing, and the water jug, so as to save the depth for them. I am gonna try this set up. :)

I use a cinder block and put a light bulb up through the bottom in one of the holes and then set their water container on top and it stays water all winter. My water container is a plastic chicken one and it doesn't get hot, but stays warm enough to keep the water thawed. i can't remember what size bulb i use though.

I use a cinder block and put a light bulb up through the bottom in one of the holes and then set their water container on top and it stays water all winter.  My water container is a plastic chicken one and it doesn't get hot, but stays warm enough to keep the water thawed.   i can't remember what size bulb i use though.

This sounds good but my chickens will be in their coop in a carriage house. My chickens will knock this over!! I live in Southern Ontario so it can get quite cold in winter especially at night. Not sure about what I'm going to do.

Back
Top Bottom