wazine

There are a lot of worming products on the market and many of us tend to balk at using them because they usually have a disclaimer stating not to consume eggs for 14 days after administering the final dose. Well, crums! Who wants to chuck out beautiful eggs for 24 days? (First dose, followed by a final dose 10 days later). I just picked up a bottle of Wazine - a very safe and highly effective anti-wormer - and was basically resigned to tossing out a huge number of eggs. Then, I did a little research, and I thought I would share what I found out.

The active ingredient in Wazine is piperazine. Among other things, piperazine is used to treat intestinal parasitic infections in chickens, pigs, dogs, and HUMANS. Dosage for humans is as follows: 6g taken orally for 1 day followed 10 days later by a second 6g dose for adults. For children 8 to 14 years old, the dosage is reduced to 4 g. For children 2 to 8, the dosage is 2 grams. (http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/piperazine-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20065522)

When given to laying hens at a dosage of 300mg/kg body weight, piperazine was found in the eggs at a highest concentration of 0.8mg twenty-four hours after the hen was medicated, and then at 0.2mg ninety-six hours after the hen was medicated (http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?sid=24898556&viewopt=Deposited.) For folks who don't remember, there are 1000 mg in a single gram, so the smallest dosage used to treat a 2-year-old is 2000 mg. Given this information, I wondered why the product warns to withdraw eggs for 14 days following the final dose when the most that has been found in an egg is just 0.8 mg ( less than 1/2000th of the dose used for a two-year-old).

Well, those withdrawal guidelines were enacted by the FDA in 1996, and they were pretty arbitrary. The guidelines were meant to ensure that people wouldn't be exposed to the drug at levels higher than a dose "13,000 times lower than the therapeutic dose well tolerated by humans." (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Animal...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm049524.pdf)

Shenanigans! I have my own conspiracy theories as to why the FDA created those withdrawal recommendations back in 1996, but I won't punish you all with them. I will, however, be eating the eggs that my gals lay after I dose them with Wazine, and I won't be worrying about poisoning myself because even if I gorge on six eggs the very next day, I'll have only ingested 6.4 mg (or 0.1 % of a therapeutic dose of a drug used to treat parasitic infections in humans). If I were pregnant or breast-feeding, I might err on the side of caution, but I feel confident that a 0.1% dose isn't going to hurt me or anyone else in my family.

I do not dispute that wormers are poisons, but then again, so is caffeine, as is the active ingredient in Off bug spray, and also the active ingredients in anti-dandruff shampoos. I take some comfort in knowing that the poison in Wazine is used for the medical treatment of parasitic infections in humans, which means it has been subjected to significant trials and its effects and toxicity in humans is well understood. You are also right that the stated withdrawal period on the packaging is for meat birds. The original post asked about eggs. I researched eggs. I shared my sources in my post so that others could evaluate the data rather than simply rely upon my claims as a complete stranger. As you said, and as I said in my post, the chemical does find its way into eggs. I feel comfortable with the exposure levels that I outlined in my reply Of course, it is a personal choice, and other folks may not be comfortable with the exposure levels. I do not believe that I weighed in on the use of Wazine as a first time wormer, because the original post was not asking about that. I believe that knowledge is power, and so I shared what I found. I hope that doing so did not upset anyone.

There are a lot of worming products on the market and many of us tend to balk at using them because they usually have a disclaimer stating not to consume eggs for 14 days after administering the final dose. Well, crums! Who wants to chuck out beautiful eggs for 24 days? (First dose, followed by a final dose 10 days later). I just picked up a bottle of Wazine - a very safe and highly effective anti-wormer - and was basically resigned to tossing out a huge number of eggs. Then, I did a little research, and I thought I would share what I found out.

The active ingredient in Wazine is piperazine. Among other things, piperazine is used to treat intestinal parasitic infections in chickens, pigs, dogs, and HUMANS. Dosage for humans is as follows: 6g taken orally for 1 day followed 10 days later by a second 6g dose for adults. For children 8 to 14 years old, the dosage is reduced to 4 g. For children 2 to 8, the dosage is 2 grams. (http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/piperazine-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20065522)

When given to laying hens at a dosage of 300mg/kg body weight, piperazine was found in the eggs at a highest concentration of 0.8mg twenty-four hours after the hen was medicated, and then at 0.2mg ninety-six hours after the hen was medicated (http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?sid=24898556&viewopt=Deposited.) For folks who don't remember, there are 1000 mg in a single gram, so the smallest dosage used to treat a 2-year-old is 2000 mg. Given this information, I wondered why the product warns to withdraw eggs for 14 days following the final dose when the most that has been found in an egg is just 0.8 mg ( less than 1/2000th of the dose used for a two-year-old).

Well, those withdrawal guidelines were enacted by the FDA in 1996, and they were pretty arbitrary. The guidelines were meant to ensure that people wouldn't be exposed to the drug at levels higher than a dose "13,000 times lower than the therapeutic dose well tolerated by humans." (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Animal...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm049524.pdf)

Shenanigans! I have my own conspiracy theories as to why the FDA created those withdrawal recommendations back in 1996, but I won't punish you all with them. I will, however, be eating the eggs that my gals lay after I dose them with Wazine, and I won't be worrying about poisoning myself because even if I gorge on six eggs the very next day, I'll have only ingested 6.4 mg (or 0.1 % of a therapeutic dose of a drug used to treat parasitic infections in humans). If I were pregnant or breast-feeding, I might err on the side of caution, but I feel confident that a 0.1% dose isn't going to hurt me or anyone else in my family.
Wormers are poisons. There is no mention of an egg withdrawal period on a bottle of wazine. There IS a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period as stated on the bottle. There is wormer residue in eggs however slight, and it's possible a person might have a reaction to the piperazine. Also if a person is somehow infected with roundworms and piperazine is the recommended medication, there's the possibility of worm resistance to the product requiring a higher dose or different wormer. It's the same with antibiotic resistance.
It's a personal choice if you desire to eat eggs after worming. I observe the 14 day withdrawal period, if the bird is good to eat, so are the eggs.
I dont recommend wazine as a first wormer anyway. There's the risk of blockage causing toxic dead worm overload which can kill a chicken. Valbazen is the best choice as a first time wormer, it slowly kills worms over several days, no need to worry about intestinal blockages.

I used this wormer last week as well. I called the company and they told me the FDA has said you must wait 17 days to eat the eggs. Everyone on this forum says 14 days but the official word from Wazine's manufacturer is 17. Good luck with your birds.

Wasakat, very interesting point. I like that you specified that amounts that humans would be consuming because I think that is the main concern. Thanks for sharing your research.

Last edited:
Can you use the eggs for hatching when using the wormer? Ive heard people cook the eggs and feed them back to the chickens, what have yall done in the past with the eggs while the are on the wormer?

This is all very interesting information. I have contemplated giving my laying hens Wazine. I was wondering what the effect of Wazine would have on hatching the eggs layed during the withdrawal period.
I gave a 6 pullet flock Wazine this morning (first time I've tried it) because I found a what I think is roundworm in droppings of one of them. They have been confined in a 10x10' pen since I purchased them on Sept. 13, 2015 (from a NPIP Certified seller). I hesitated to mix them with my flock and now glad I waited.
After reading your post, I think I may just go ahead and worm my laying hens and roosters and bury the eggs in my garden for calcium.

Question: when I worm my layers, should I treat the chicken house (dirt floor)? What should I use to kill larvae, etc. so they won't reinfect themselves. I do let them free range for several hours a day when days are long. I feed them Co op brand layer pellets.

Back
Top Bottom