Welbars - Breed thread and discussion

I found this at peace tree poultry

"Welbars were created by Mr Humphreys of Eastwrey, Devon who thought of the idea in 1940. He contacted Professor Punnet (Breeder of the cream legbar) for advice. Following the legbar process, chicks from the initial welsummer x barred rock were hatched in 1941. Cockerels from this mating were then bred with welsummer hens to produce gold and silver welbars simultaneously. The breed was recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain in 1948."

It seems to imply that the cross with the a Barred Rock can be used to create BOTH the gold and silver forms of the Welbar.

Right now I'm trying to find the genetic pathways needed to create the Silver Welbar.
Barred Rocks are silver, so I got both silver and gold early on. Selecting for gold was easy because it is recessive, but the silver hens only produced silver cockerels, all their daughters were gold because their mate was gold (so homozygous). Essentially, a silver hen and gold cock made "red sexlinks" in that generation of Welbars. I kept a bunch of those cockerals, they are very nice looking. I am now breeding both color cockerels over a mixture of gold welbar and welsummer pullets. I get only a very few silver chicks (I think the gold cockerel is getting more action in that pen), but I don't need many, just a few pullets to breed back to their father. Their progeny will produce a lot more silvers, but determining which cockerel is homozygous for silver is going to be the trick. I think I will have to employ a test mating with each cockerel until I get one that produces 100% silver daughters. That cockerel will be the foundation of the line of Silver Welbars. Breeding him to silver pullets will create more double silver cockerels and silver pullets (or I can even use the silver pullet progeny of untested silver males).

Getting a "pure" pullet for any sexlinked trait is as trivial as fixing a recessive trait, since they can never be heterozygous for a sexlinked gene.

I found this at peace tree poultry

"Welbars were created by Mr Humphreys of Eastwrey, Devon who thought of the idea in 1940. He contacted Professor Punnet (Breeder of the cream legbar) for advice. Following the legbar process, chicks from the initial welsummer x barred rock were hatched in 1941. Cockerels from this mating were then bred with welsummer hens to produce gold and silver welbars simultaneously. The breed was recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain in 1948."

It seems to imply that the cross with the a Barred Rock can be used to create BOTH the gold and silver forms of the Welbar.
Yes, exactly. I have both, just not a pure breeding line of silvers yet because silver is dominant and therefore harder to fix in the cockerels.

At showlinepoultry.co.uk

Welbar Bantams
Welbars are regarded as a rare breed in the uk as there are very few to be seen. Being aware of how scarce the Welbar was urged us to breed a bantam line of our own which has brought great results.

The Welbar is an autosexing breed (not the same as sex-linked)created in the 1940's by a Mr Humphrey of Devon. Mr Humphrey set out to create a Gold Welsummer which was sexable at hatching so feeding males to an age where they could be recognised was eliminated saving costs. Atchieving this by crossing the Gold Welsummer with the Black Plymouth Rock Mr Humphrey produced a dark egg laying autosexing breed. Later Mr Humphrey used a Silver Duckwing Welsummer to produce a Silver Welbar which are virtually extinct

A great little bird. Yellow legs and a barring in the feather over the Welsummer female colouring makes the Welbar bantam an atractive dark brown egger that can be kept in your back yard.

When hatched Welbar chicks are coloured differently, males are seen to be lighter than females. This autosexing feature allows anyone buying hatching eggs to retain only females if cockerels are not required.

Greenfire Farms just announced on their FB page that they will be "introducing" Welbars in 2017. This is creating a lot of buzz already and is sure to make Welbars the hot breed next year.

Is there any national association for Welbar lovers?
You may recall my contacting you to buy some welbars and you directed me to Lancaster FF.
-ron hill, Central Georgia

Is there any national association for Welbar lovers?
You may recall my contacting you to buy some welbars and you directed me to Lancaster FF.
-ron hill, Central Georgia
There are so few Welbar owners/breeders. even in the UK there is no organization that I've ever heard of. I believe the original creator wanted to just get them designated as a different color (crele) of Welsummer. Welsummers already come in partridge and silver duckwing, Welbars would just have been a 3rd color. With that in mind, any SOP would logically be exactly like a Welsummer except in color/pattern.

I don't think that is the way it worked out, they seem a lot different in size and body type. They picked up a lot of characteristics from the barred rocks they were created with and even the pics I've seen of the UK look a lot like a rock in body type. I don't think that's a bad thing, a larger and more "robust" Welsummer is pretty appealing.

I'm not sure there will be the same push for an SOP for Welbars as there has been for Legbars. I guess it depends on how popular they become.

I really like the personality of my Welbar. So tame and comfortable being held. Could someone tell me if the crooked comb is normal for this breed? I'm guessing she won't have any issues from it, but I have not seen a crooked comb like this before. She is about 9 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom