What are you planting or growing this year?

Hi Everyone! I havent posted anything in a while. Its been crazy since we moved back to Alabama, started a new job and settled all the humans and animals back in. I started a couple of flats in the garage under lights in February and began planting out doors in early April.

So far I have three 40ft rows of Corn.
Heirloom White, Heirloon Yellow, Hopi Blue, and two other whites from the CoOp.

One 40 ft of Spineless Okra, Two 8ft of Perkins Mammoth Okra and a Dwarf Okra. and about 8 Burgundy Okra plants (my DH took out half of the Burgundys with the weedeater before he knew they were not weeds).

About 20 Tomato plants of assorted tyees
Beefsteak, Roma, Sweet 100s, Purple something and others...I have a few baby tomatoes I noticed today.

Three 20 ft rows of Squash...Winter and Summer You name it I added some!
Plus three types of Watermelon, 6 Types of Pumkins, Cantelopes, and Luffas

12 Blueberry bushes

3 20ft rows of Beans Calyso, Red and Black turtle, 6 8ft rows of Cow peas(Pink eyes) Yellow wax and other beans.

Yukon Gold and Sweet potatoes

20ft Bell Peppers

40ft of 5 kinds of Cucumber along the fence

Garlic, Radish, Carrots, Amaranth, Artichokes,Hot peppers, Sunflowers and a few Strawberries

Some things did not make it... and I had to replant. I still plan to put in an herb garden and a few other veggies!

I will get some pictures up today, The ones I have are a couple of weeks old.

Quote:
Yummie,
Let me know when it all comes off and I'll be by for supper.
You being from Alabama, you knwo what supper is?

This is our first year doing a garden...so it's going to be a learning year.

We planted:

22 Blueberry bushes
1 row of raspberries
75 strawberry plants
3 types of corn
4 types of potatoes
peas
green beans
lemon balm
nasturtium
artichokes
wide variety of radishes
carrots
tomatoes
Broccoli
Cauliflower
cucumbers
lemon cucumbers
pickling cucumbers
spinach
4 types of lettuce
cabbage
pumpkins
squash
birdhouse gourds
sunflowers
watermelon
canteloup

I think that's all...........

Good, bad, or ugly..we had fun doing it together =)

OMG...I'm so far behind on my garden this year, normally by now I'd have the dirt all tilled and ready to go and have my plants bought (I only do a few things from seed...someday I may get to doing all from seed). Normally I'd be planting this coming weekend but due to the chickens we spent a few weekends building a fence around the garden area instead.

Hoping I can squeeze in some time to out of this weekend to get the dirt prepped -- if so I could buy plants and put them in the ground the following weekend and would only be a week behind.

I need to study your lists to see if there's for new veggie ideas...normally I plant tomatoes, carrots, green pepper, hot peppers, cabbage, onions, egg plant, zucchini and cucumber. Going to pass on the zucchini this year though (we always get a ton and I'm the only one who likes them anymore!). For herbs I usually do rosemary, thyme and basil (have a chive plant in the perennial garden).

I won't panic yet but best get moving or summer will pass me by and we'll have built that fence for nothing!

the garden is looking good.tomatoes,squash and potatos in bloom.
tomatoes(67) i get carried away and plant way to many seeds.
potatos
squash
onions
cucumbers
peppers
tomatillos
hot pepper
sunflowers
flowers.

I love gardens! I hate having to limit my seed order too...
duc.gif

Tomatoes: Beefsteak, Chadwick Cherry, Grape, Striped Roman, Mini Orange, Purple Russian, White Queen and a rainbow mix.

Peppers: Sweet Chocolate, Thai Red Chili, Cayenne, Pasilla Bajio, California Wonder, Red Cheese.

Squash: Pattypans, Yellow Straightneck and Crookneck, Zucchini.
Rouge Vif, Galuex d'Eysines, Butternut, Blue Hubbard, Black Futsu, Australian Butter, Illinois, Delicata, Red Kuri, Shamrock, Pipian from Tuxpan, Kikuza Squash and lots more.

I tried planting potatoes for the first time this year, they are Fingerling potatoes. Always plant flowers (love my Mexican Torch Sunflowers).

Denasfarm--is that a white zucchini (Lungo Bianco)??

Ooh, fingerlings are awesome! I love splitting them the long way, coating them with olive oil and rosemary then baking them in the oven. So tasty!

where did you get the starts for the fingerling potatoes? And I grew hubbard last year and I thought they would be like other winter squash and they were kind of soft and more like summer squash in flavor to me. I didn't really know what to do with them.

Any suggestions on how to cook the hubbards? I still have seeds so, I'm willing to give them another shot if there are good recipes out there.

Denasfarm--is that a white zucchini (Lungo Bianco)??
Its a Lebanese Bush from Heirloom seeds (i wont order from them again)I learned they are stingy with their seeds, with very few in a package, and horrible sprouting rate (ALL of the peppers I ordered from them died or never sprouted!). I prefer dealing with Bakers Creek seeds...They have some really neat stuff I need to try growing next year!

Back
Top Bottom