What are you planting or growing this year?

LazyBee--the potatoes came from our grocery store, we cooked some but then the bag got "forgotten" and they started to sprout roots so I figured I'd put them in dirt and see what happens. Hubbards to me are a very much the definition of a winter squash, their shell should be hard and the flesh firm (before cooking). Did you pick yours early?

Denasfarm--oh neat! Baker Creek Seeds are great! The variety of seeds is amazing! Your pictures are delightful!

Hi All!
This is my first year doing a garden of any kind. I moved from the S. Cal desert to N. Cal last year and jumped in with both feet into gardening.
I have raised beds and planter boxes.
My veggies:
Four types of tomatoes
Basil
Two types of Eggplant
Cucumbers
Lemon Cucumbers
Three types of squash
Carrots
Radishes
Rhubarb
Artichokes
Sunflowers
Two types of potatos
Sugar peas
Lots of peppers of various types

I say types and am not specific because I had markers on all the plants, then we had a massive windstorm and all the markers disappeared.
We finished putting in the raised beds last month, then a week later our landlord called to tell us he had to move back to Napa and wanted to live in his house. We have a new place to live, but I am not looking forward to moving those beds!

Wish me luck!
Karen

Ok... I got the garden planted today...90 degrees out there and here's what I planted

7 tomato
1 tamatillo
3 jalapino pepper
3 pablano pepper
6 green pepper
3 red pepper
6 green cabbage
3 red cabbage
3 brussel sprouts
3 kolrrabe
2 green bean
2 cucumber
1 pickle size cucumber
1 watermellon
3 sweet basil
1 rosemary
1 savory
and some carrot seeds

you guys have really impressive gardens, i only have two small ones. Im growing garlic, strawberries, blueberries, jalapenos tomatoes, habaneros, cayenne, and if the seeds ever sprout, ghost peppers. Good Luck!

My garden feels tiny... :( I am growing the following:
Bell Peppers
Zucchini squash
Swiss Chard
Carrots
Tomatoes
Arugula
Romaine Hearts
Parsley
Basil
Marigolds (good rabbit treat)
Morning Glories
And, I bought a few young Strawberry, Golden Raspberry, and Blueberry bushes, that I have to plant. I did not raise them from a seed.
Most of these are Fair projects. Some are doing MUCH better than others.

I am mid-way through my spring garden. My first planting of sweet corn is already harvested and the first planting of bush beans are nearly finished for the season.

What I still have in the garden:

Several dozen pole beans
Several dozen bush beans
20 +/-- Pickling Cucumbers
15 +/-- Regular Cucumbers
95 -Tomato Plants, mixed varieties, but heavy on paste types
60- Sweet Peppers (red, yellow, purple, chocolate, green, and italian sweet type)
20- Zucchini plants
20- Winter Squash (mostly spaghetti and buttercup)
14-Pumpkins, mostly sugar pie, but a few big field varieties
40+ Watermelon plants
25+ Canteloupe, Crenshaw, and Honeydew melons
A couple dozen white and red amaranth
A row of millet
A row of grain sorghum
About 90' of Hickory King field corn
A few hot peppers
One 75' row of Merit sweet corn
A couple dozen sunflowers
Florence Fennel
Dill

and I just planted the following where I removed the sweet corn:
1- 75' row of winter squash (mostly blue hubbard, pink banana, and amish pie)
2 - 75' rows of Pink Eye Purple Hull Peas
1- 75' row of zucchini, pumpkins, and hot peppers

Here is my cucumber trellis last week:

This is one row of my tomatoes...peppers are on the right and zucchini on the left. I have one more big row of each peppers and tomatoes in this garden and another 42 tomatoes and dozen peppers in the other garden. Keeping all this weeded is about a full time job even using Roundup.
he.gif

Last edited:
Day before yesterday got my fiorst pickings of my green beans. Got a whole 2 and 1/2 quarts bucket full. Cooked and ate them last night.

Oh sooooooooooooooooo, good.
ya.gif
After all those tasteless ones out of cans.
barnie.gif

Blue Lake Contender (Bush). That is the only kind that I plant. I love snap beans and can't stand the shelley beans.

We have a plot in a local community garden, which is just about my favorite place to be in the summer. We're growing rosemary, brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes, sweet mini peppers, romaine, butter lettuce, green curly leaf lettuce, spinach, kale, onions, chioggia beets, cilantro, thyme, basil, beefsteak tomatoes (for canning), 3 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, more carrots (we have some standards and some heirloom varieties - purple!), turnips, mustard greens, pickling and regular cucumbers, butternut squash, muskmelon, and raspberries.

Whew! Sounds like a lot now that I write it all out!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom