What are you planting or growing this year?

Hi All! Stuck in suburbia here, but my darling hubby supplied me with 6 very nice raised garden beds, and I do additional goodies in pots. Here's this year's lineup:

Tomatoes (3 kinds), peppers, onions (3 kinds), scallions, lettuces (4 kinds), peas, snow peas, bush beans, carrots, spinach, celery, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, corn, melons (2 kinds), cucumbers (slicing & pickling), 'taters (2 kinds), strawberries, blueberries, oregano, basil, and dill. This is my sixth season veggie gardening, and I'm planning to try my hand at canning and pickling this year for the first time. :)

Happy gardening!

Jodi in Bend, Oregon
Raised beds actually are very good. In Maine I grew in 5 gal buckets, window boxes, planters and did just fine. I pickle but haven't pressure canned. This year I plan to pressure can. Pic is puna keera pickled bread and butter. Pickled green beans, okra, pickled green mterseggs of course a red and a green picante and lots of hot sauce!

Thank you so much for the URL, onebigglo1! I'll definitely check it out... the more I can learn now about the processes, the better I'll do when the time comes. I really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
Num, they look great, Shawnee_b! :) Really looking forward to producing my own pretty jars o' goodies! ;-) Happy gardening!

hi gardeners; i'm enjoying some success with my two raised beds this year. i've never canned/pickled, but i hope to this year. my onions have turned out great. i've got granex, red, & 1015y which are types good for this part of Texas.

i picked my first tomato today. it's beautiful. it's got a worm hole in it, but it's not too deep. we've been eating greenbeans for about a week now.
i've never had any luck with tomatoes before. this time, they're are insane. the plants are huge & lush & packed with tomatoes. i have a hard time findng the sweet 100s because the plants (two of them) are so lush. i hope i don't run across a snake while i'm reaching for a tomato. i'm going to have to get a step ladder to reach the tops soon.

the squash is more plant than squash because they're planted close to the tomatoes & therefore getting more food than they need. the okra is up & the black eyed peas are just coming up.

i've got some japanese eggplant & one fruit is about ready. the cucumbers are lush, blooming like crazy & few female flowers. i don't know what's up with that.
the peppers are doing so so. i think when it gets hotter, they will do better.
i have had the best soil in these raised beds. i hope i can duplicate it for the third bed & keep it going after this season.

i've been more ornamental plant oriented in the past. i'm becoming more interested in self -suficiency so i want to grow food & learn how to preserve it.

So far in my garden is:

Swiss Chard
Oregon Sugar Snap peas
Strawberries
Rhubarb
Raspberries
Grapes
Blueberries
Tomatoes
Hot peppers
Pepperoncini's
Bell Peppers
Several kinds of squash
Cucumbers
Pickling Cucumbers
Watermelon
2 different kinds of Cantaloupe
Potatoes
Garlic (almost ready to harvest)
Basil
Licorice Basil
Parsley
Cilantro
Dill
Chives

I have 13 different kinds of fruit trees and just started with bees last week.

Still yet to plant:
Pumpkin
Green beans
Okra
Corn

Num, they look great, Shawnee_b! :) Really looking forward to producing my own pretty jars o' goodies! ;-) Happy gardening!
Thank you. It's fun to preserve. I'm making a solar dryer this year, or plan to if I get time!

Salsa
ya.gif

hi gardeners; i'm enjoying some success with my two raised beds this year. i've never canned/pickled, but i hope to this year. my onions have turned out great. i've got granex, red, & 1015y which are types good for this part of Texas.

i picked my first tomato today. it's beautiful. it's got a worm hole in it, but it's not too deep. we've been eating greenbeans for about a week now.
i've never had any luck with tomatoes before. this time, they're are insane. the plants are huge & lush & packed with tomatoes. i have a hard time findng the sweet 100s because the plants (two of them) are so lush. i hope i don't run across a snake while i'm reaching for a tomato. i'm going to have to get a step ladder to reach the tops soon.

the squash is more plant than squash because they're planted close to the tomatoes & therefore getting more food than they need. the okra is up & the black eyed peas are just coming up.

i've got some japanese eggplant & one fruit is about ready. the cucumbers are lush, blooming like crazy & few female flowers. i don't know what's up with that.
the peppers are doing so so. i think when it gets hotter, they will do better.
i have had the best soil in these raised beds. i hope i can duplicate it for the third bed & keep it going after this season.

i've been more ornamental plant oriented in the past. i'm becoming more interested in self -suficiency so i want to grow food & learn how to preserve it.

Wow you must have gotten an early start planting! I had lots of toms last year. 31 plants. 100 plants this year. I pickle green and reds, salsas, piquantes, a pickled green tom chunk relish (pic). I also freeze alot. Trick is wash and put them on a pizza pan in the freeze then put in ziplocks. They don't stick to gether and you use what you need. When frozen put in warm water, the skin will wrinkle and skin slips off. Cherries I just pop the stem, bigger I cut the stem out.

Just got tomatoes in the ground today,
they are Ace, Krim (dark or blackish)
mixed heirloom, & better boy....
Our last frost date is May 10 so not too far behind.
Will plant:
Okra
Hubbard - Golden & Blue
Pumpkin - Illumina, Jaradale, Big Max, Jack o'lantern
Sunflower,
& more if i can get them in there.

Thanks Shawnee, for the freezing tip with those toms!!!

I’m doing square foot gardening this year. I have a small strip (3x12) alongside my patio and it’s the only place in my yard that gets full sun. In the past, I planted some flowers with cukes, toms, basil, and chard as that’s all I had room for - according to the recommended spacing - and nothing ever really produced enough so that I could stop buying veg from the grocery store.

This year, I’m going (happily) berserk choosing all the veg I like! (I also added a 3x6 bed.)

I have:
Tomatoes (Early Girl, Grandma Mary, and cherries), cukes, corn, wax beans, pole beans, runner beans, spinach, chard, mustard greens, beets, garlic, onions, shallots, scallions, carrots, radishes, broccoli, bell peppers, snap peas, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, basil, coriander, parsley, and dill. I’m also growing collards in pots.

Something’s gotta grow, right?

This year I'm growing tomatoes, hot peppers, green beans, lettuce and corn.
Corn is new for me this year I've never grown it in my soil. Hoping it will do well in the iron ore tyoe dirt that I have on my place.
The lettuce is new also, it is the leaf type lettuce.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom