WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? WHAT DID YOU JUST RECEIVE?

LoraV: Oh, I hope Teeni makes it!! She is so cute! It sounds like she's doing better!

Jewellan: I really, really want a Cream Legbar. Such pretty chickens and then they have blue eggs! Your chicks are beautiful!

Here are our chicks, 1 week old:

Sheila - our Australorp chick. She's the flightiest and hard to get a picture! She is also the slowest to feather out. Please don't be a roo! Please don't be a roo!

Letty: a Barred Rock. She's pretty friendly. If you pick her up, she'll just stay in your hand.

Daphne: By far our friendliest chick. Barred Rock.

Buffy: a Buff Orpington. Also friendly.

Sherlock: another BO. She's pretty friendly, too.

I have read so many things that it is hard to know what the right thing to do, everyone you talk to says do this do that.

It was not grit it was a clump of grass ( need to word better ) with a bit of dirt still attached I read that was good I hope more people think yes so I didn't hurt my birds.  Garlic was in the water but now I just have the chick vitamins in the water and only baby chick feed everything else is out. She is still walking around being part of the flock so far but I have also read that they will make a comeback and then go down.  So I will hope for the comeback and not the down.  I work all day tomorrow so will find out in the afternoon.  I hope after 3 to 4 days each alive everyone will be good for their first day alone.  I did however give her molasses water (read here) and raw egg in a dropper (read here) and pedialight and carried her in a scarf in my shirt (read here).  

SO hopefully most of my choices were good ones.  I do know I cared for her with love and diligence when a few told me let nature take it's corse I know nature has its corse but when you have a living thing in your care it is hard to not try everything to make it easier and better.  

That is what I did and I hope she is still here tomorrow. 

I was just curious about the grit :) Some people think they need to feed grit at this age, which you should if you feed anything other than the chick starter. The chick starter has grit in it, so I was just wanting to make sure that you weren't "just" giving them grit and not starter. When I had my chicks in the house, I didn't give treats (and grit) until they went outside at 6 weeks....but then I had a hen hatch out 9 babies the first of July and within 3 days she had them out in our yard and driveway eating God knows what :) Goes to show you that there is no perfect way to raise them. Just like you are doing, raise them with love!

LoraV: Oh, I hope Teeni makes it!! She is so cute! It sounds like she's doing better! Jewellan: I really, really want a Cream Legbar. Such pretty chickens and then they have blue eggs! Your chicks are beautiful! Here are our chicks, 1 week old: Sheila - our Australorp chick. She's the flightiest and hard to get a picture! She is also the slowest to feather out. Please don't be a roo! Please don't be a roo! Letty: a Barred Rock. She's pretty friendly. If you pick her up, she'll just stay in your hand. Daphne: By far our friendliest chick. Barred Rock. Buffy: a Buff Orpington. Also friendly. Sherlock: another BO. She's pretty friendly, too.
beautiful babies. It seems like the last batch is smaller than the others thst I habe gotten this summer

Garlic is a natural antibiotic I added a mask to the water. Teeni is a little slow again this morning so I am wearing her in a scarf around my neck again (I read that on here) I have to work all day today so it is the first day I won't be home to monitor for many hours, I hope she makes it. I have spent so much time with her she is by far my favorite now, they are all so cute and warming up to my hand 1 or 2 will jump on it now. You know Teeni looks like your first pic she doesn't look like a EE she is a bantam and by far the smallest of the bunch .
I will update when I get home from work, say a Teeni prayer...
fl.gif

I have read so many things that it is hard to know what the right thing to do, everyone you talk to says do this do that.

It was not grit it was a clump of grass ( need to word better ) with a bit of dirt still attached I read that was good I hope more people think yes so I didn't hurt my birds. Garlic was in the water but now I just have the chick vitamins in the water and only baby chick feed everything else is out. She is still walking around being part of the flock so far but I have also read that they will make a comeback and then go down. So I will hope for the comeback and not the down. I work all day tomorrow so will find out in the afternoon. I hope after 3 to 4 days each alive everyone will be good for their first day alone. I did however give her molasses water (read here) and raw egg in a dropper (read here) and pedialight and carried her in a scarf in my shirt (read here).

SO hopefully most of my choices were good ones. I do know I cared for her with love and diligence when a few told me let nature take it's corse I know nature has its corse but when you have a living thing in your care it is hard to not try everything to make it easier and better.

That is what I did and I hope she is still here tomorrow.

At this point I would not be feeding them any grass or dirt from outside, not yet. If you have a chick that's already slow you don't want to introduce "stuff" from outside just yet, like coccidiosis and parasites. And when they do start eating anything besides their starter then you do need to offer chick size grit. Chick starter does not have grit in it, it just does not require any grit to be digested. At this age I only feed chick starter, maybe some chopped, hard boiled egg, nothing else.

I think I would discontinue the all the other stuff to, especially the molasses which can act like a laxative. Sometimes we can do more harm then good by adding to much extra stuff to these very young bodies. A slow chick will often perk up with some Save-A-Chick electrolytes added to the water or with a little sugar water for a couple days.

Also be very, very careful giving any kind of liquid by mouth, it's so very easy, especially in these tiny ones, for them to aspirate it into their lungs and then develop pneumonia.

Something to consider with feeding garlic: Some people believe garlic to be a great thing to feed to birds, however, garlic and onions contain disulfides which are known to cause hemolytic anemia in other animals. I don't know of any studies done in birds but to me it's not worth the risk.

At this point I would not be feeding them any grass or dirt from outside, not yet. If you have a chick that's already slow you don't want to introduce "stuff" from outside just yet, like coccidiosis and parasites. And when they do start eating anything besides their starter then you do need to offer chick size grit. Chick starter does not have grit in it, it just does not require any grit to be digested. At this age I only feed chick starter, maybe some chopped, hard boiled egg, nothing else.

I think I would discontinue the all the other stuff to, especially the molasses which can act like a laxative. Sometimes we can do more harm then good by adding to much extra stuff to these very young bodies. A slow chick will often perk up with some Save-A-Chick electrolytes added to the water or with a little sugar water for a couple days.

Also be very, very careful giving any kind of liquid by mouth, it's so very easy, especially in these tiny ones, for them to aspirate it into their lungs and then develop pneumonia.

Something to consider with feeding garlic: Some people believe garlic to be a great thing to feed to birds, however, garlic and onions contain disulfides which are known to cause hemolytic anemia in other animals. I don't know of any studies done in birds but to me it's not worth the risk.
Thank you for the info, hopefully she will be ok, I took everything out that night only thing left in is Chick Grit she will not go to feeder for food she is so small I think even that is too big I broke some up a bit and am trying to get her to do it. I quit the molasses as well but I read that one here from a old timer I don't have it bookmarked so could tell you where it is. At this point she will survive or not it is up and down. I heard it takes an average of 3 or 4 days for them to die we are at that mark...

Try some mashed hard boiled egg. You can also make a mash of her chick starter with some warm water and see if she'll take that. You are mentioning "chick grit" as the only thing in there, I assume you are meaning chick starter? Two different things.

Try some mashed hard boiled egg. You can also make a mash of her chick starter with some warm water and see if she'll take that. You are mentioning "chick grit" as the only thing in there, I assume you are meaning chick starter? Two different things.
Yes, Chick Starter! I am sorry! LOL I will try the masked egg she dosnt seem to go for the chick mash I will try again.

I am waiting on a egg incubator, not sure when it will come as it is from Sydney and I am South West Vic. According to AP it should only take 3-4 business days but according to tracking info it is still in NSW on day 3
rant.gif
. I am really hoping that they have just delayed in updating info as I am hanging out for it so I can get it all sorted and then I will organize some fertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom