What chickens have the best flying ability?

Easter egger/Ameracauna types, games, and cubalayas. My cubalayas fly just for fun. When I open the coop door they flush out like pheasants. The young half cuba/half RIR roo who is only allowed out when everyone else is in flies onto the top of the coop to crow. This morning he chose to fly 150' across the yard rather than walk in the snow.

These guys seem to have different approaches to flight depending on their mood. The roosters in particular have a "showoff" mode where they seem to try and make a loud snapping sound with their wings while flying straight up a few feet. When they fly to get somewhere they are much quieter, more efficient.

I think intelligence and awareness has more to do with survival than flight ability. My rooster right now is very conservative about hawks. When he gives the alarm, my girls disappear. I lost quite a few with a previous rooster. He just didn't seem to care. He growled the alarm but just went about business like nothing was wrong.

My ameraucanas are flighty as heck. I had a difficult time convincing them to roost near the rest of my hens. Their attitude has been the higher the better. My dominique has been mildly flighty. The ameraucanas have escaped my 6 ft fence, grrr.

Sorry about your loss. Im afraid that any bantam breed is gonna be easy pickins for predators. Perhaps you should consider getting an animal such as a goose to protect the little guys. Goodluck!

My millie Fleur d 'Uccles love to fly. They have flown 20 plus feet into the pine trees. Also the modern game bantams really fly high. They practically live in the rafters if they arent outside.

Yes! Indeed. I have 3 myself and I know someone who ships eggs,If you want,I can PM you. I might be able to send some. They're beautiful,just like the large fowl,and little too! 48 ounces I believe! (I'll have to check) They can be expensive. (25 a piece for some) But they're worth it! They're awesome jungle fowl,and they can fly higher than OEGB,or atleast from what I've seen.

168789_190064634337771_100000027067313_750627_2287937_n.jpg
You just had to post that picture didn't you?
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom