What color is this rooster?

Just plugging away with Leghorns trying to come up with new varieties still.
Wrapping up spring here so hatching is in full effect. Getting some good varieties.
View attachment 3509578
lot color there .what color variety you are trying to breed or to establish ?
gorgeous looking chicks my friend bravo .
chooks man

We didn't have blue Leghorns here in the states so I've been working with blue a lot the last few years. I'm pretty established but building up numbers right now with blue, blue mottled, blue gold duckwing and silver gold duckwing.
Once mid season approaches I'll switch focus to adding barring so blue barred, blue crele, blue silver crele. Along with their black counterparts.
Got some other varieties I'm also just building up numbers on.
Lots of stuff so some I'm building up while others just maintaining.

He is a black-tailed red golden. By golden I mean he is heterozygous for silver. Not seeing a trace of dominant white on him though.
He is e^wh/e^whDb/DbMh/MhS/s+
agree with you he hasn t got any dominant white because his tail is black ,
if he has dominant white gene even one copy his tail will be white or almost white .
here a photo of one of my rooster .white copper marans ,( black copper with one dominant white copy . need more copper on the hackle and saddle ) his tail is almost white not pure black.
FNTP6503.JPG

chooks man

agree with you he hasn t got any dominant white because his tail is black ,
if he has dominant white gene even one copy his tail will be white or almost white .
here a photo of one of my rooster .white copper marans ,( black copper with one dominant white copy . need more copper on the hackle and saddle ) his tail is almost white not pure black.
View attachment 3510620
chooks man
Wow, I’ve never seen a white copper before!

1684495354760.png

@buckock
if the hatchery told you this rooster come out of they Black tail line ,than his sire will be BTB ( Black tail buff ) and his mother is Silver Wheaten . so he is EWh/Ewh . Db/db+. S/s+ or Ewh/Ewh . Co./co+. S/s+ maybe like @Amer suggested with extra Mohagany Mh . he seem to have very dark brown shoulders .
I m saying that because his tail is pure black ,I have been working with color pattern ( white copper ,Red Pyle ,splash wheaten and splash salmon marans . they all have white on they tails .never pure black ,
this body color patter only come out when I cross a Black tail rooster to a silver wheaten
what I m trying to say this pattern does apear in a marans population ,your rooster look marans to me .
chooks man ,
chooks man

here one my Red Pyle rooster , similar pattern to the others. he is wheaten base Ewh /Ewh , s+/s+ . with one copy of dominant white I/i+ look similar to a splash wheaten ,
this guy has a lot leakage on his chest ,need more golden color on his hackle ,work in progress . his father is BTB ( has one copy of Db )wheaten base and his mother is Red Pyle Dackwing base ( with one copy of domiant white .
RRBC7640.JPG

his brother is White tail buff ( WTB)
XXJY5224.JPG

hope all thses photos of different rooster with a almost a similar color pattern will help .
chooks man

here one my Red Pyle rooster , similar pattern to the others. he is wheaten base Ewh /Ewh , s+/s+ . with one copy of dominant white I/i+ look similar to a splash wheaten ,
this guy has a lot leakage on his chest ,need more golden color on his hackle ,work in progress . his father is BTB ( has one copy of Db )wheaten base and his mother is Red Pyle Dackwing base ( with one copy of domiant white .
View attachment 3510659
his brother is White tail buff ( WTB)
View attachment 3510661
hope all thses photos of different rooster with a almost a similar color pattern will help .
chooks man
thank you! It certainly does. Having a better idea of his genotype will definitely help figure out the chicks, too! Some look very wheaten!

This guy is a black tailed red maran from Cackle… but. What do you call his color and what gene would cause this expression? I think it might be a dilute gene to change the red to cream but I’m not sure. View attachment 3507355
I would think the cream in the body would be a strong expression of Autosomal Red. I didn't put that into the calculator since it wouldn't show up in the picture anyway.
Screenshot_20230521-093027_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom