What color is this rooster?

thank you! It certainly does. Having a better idea of his genotype will definitely help figure out the chicks, too! Some look very wheaten!
some photos of his chicks please so we can have a better idea about his genotype.
If you matted him to wheaten Marans hen his chicks should be wheaten . Some will be buff if he is a carrier of Db or Co restrictor . And some will be silver wheaten if he is a carrier of a silver gene
Chooks man

I’m glad you like challenges! His ladies were a group of marans and blue egg layers. The blue egg layers are cream legbar, blue ameraucana, and splash ameraucana. The marans are French cuckoo marans, English cuckoo marans, French black marans, and wheaten marans. All the olive eggers (from the blue egg layers) either have tufts (from the cream legbar) or puffy cheeks (from the ameraucana). The marans have mostly feathered legs, and many are cuckoo patterned (males). Also the male marans tend to have darker black feathers coming in. My goal was to make dark brown layers and olive eggers. Photos coming soon!

I’m glad you like challenges! His ladies were a group of marans and blue egg layers. The blue egg layers are cream legbar, blue ameraucana, and splash ameraucana. The marans are French cuckoo marans, English cuckoo marans, French black marans, and wheaten marans. All the olive eggers (from the blue egg layers) either have tufts (from the cream legbar) or puffy cheeks (from the ameraucana). The marans have mostly feathered legs, and many are cuckoo patterned (males). Also the male marans tend to have darker black feathers coming in. My goal was to make dark brown layers and olive eggers. Photos coming soon!
Have a look at the chicks hatched from cuckoos hens and black copper if they have only black feathering or some of them have some red feathering . If none of them is red ( brown) they all black than he is not carrying a Db restrictior genes.
I ll wai to for photos post as many as you can . I want to find out what his genome is ?
Chooks man

Have a look at the chicks hatched from cuckoos hens and black copper if they have only black feathering or some of them have some red feathering . If none of them is red ( brown) they all black than he is not carrying a Db restrictior genes.
I ll wai to for photos post as many as you can . I want to find out what his genome is ?
Chooks man
Here is one of the cuckoo marans chicks (male). The females have gold leakage at the hackles. I’ll take a photo today.

Attachments

• IMG_9391.jpeg
    IMG_9391.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 12
Here is one of the cuckoo marans chicks (male). The females have gold leakage at the hackles. I’ll take a photo today.
this cockerel look golden cuckoo to me with a lot gold on his chest .will molt out when he grow .
I was waiting to see if he did throw some red cuckoo cockerel .to tell us if he is a Db restrictor carrier .
chooks man

1686130449607.png

@buckock this pullet is black copper with a lot mossiness because of the wheaten genes she is carrying .that is expected
does any of her sister is black silver ? if your rooster is a silver carrier even one copy he should throw some silver black pullets .
how many chicks did you endup hatching from his and a cuckoo hen /
chooks man

1686131111226.png

@buckock the red cockerel in the middle is from the wheaten hen . he is a black tail buff . so your rooster does carry Co or Db restrictor gene . I think he is carrying a Co restrictor not a Db .
from these photos you posted I don t see any sign of your rooster has any silver gene on him .
I can see he carry the Columbian restrictor gene Co .
I need to look deep into the color of your rooster .he is strange for sure .
he is not a splash wheaten for sure .I know that his tail is black plus none of his chicks are Blue .
he is not a silver gene carrier because none of his chicks showing any trace of silver or maybe you did not post photos of them ?
I don t see he is a Dark Brown restrictor gene carrier .because his chicks with silver cuckoo hen are not brown .
he is a Dominant white gene carrier I know that ,because his tail is white and none of chicks are white painted .
he is a mistry rooster for sure .
we need more chicks from him to find out .nt enough simple .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom