What color is this rooster?

That is a better picture of him. If the hatchery says it pops up, then it's got to be a throwback to whatever has been crossed into them to get/maintain the variety. Did you get any pullets of the same variety?
I did not. But I did get several other types of marans pullets in the box so I crossed him with the following: wheaten maran, French cuckoo, English cuckoo, and a French black marans.

I don’t see that option in the calculator…
I’m just going with what Amer said, they know much more than I.

EEA210DB-9E8E-47B2-B221-564B01BDCB90.jpeg

Interested Kim Kardashian GIF

I'd still be curious to figure out what mom or dad had to be to get him.
One parent (mother or father) could look a lot like the rooster you posted, with the other parent being silver.
This is what they claim their birds look like:
View attachment 3507366
The leg feathering is much better on this bird and the color is correct-ish. Your rooster has nearly no feathering on the legs. It also isn't built like a Marans, IMO. He looks like he's got Dominant White and all the color you see is red leakage. It certainly isn't dilute.

@The Moonshiner - what do you think?

One parent (mother or father) could look a lot like the rooster you posted, with the other parent being silver.
I don't agree with this.
The rooster looks silver/gold to me too and you can't have a female that's both so no on a female that looks like that rooster.
You also wouldn't need a silver hen bred with that rooster. A rooster like that bred to a correct black tailed red hen would produce some males like him.

I don't agree with this.
The rooster looks silver/gold to me too and you can't have a female that's both so no on a female that looks like that rooster.
You also wouldn't need a silver hen bred with that rooster. A rooster like that bred to a correct black tailed red hen would produce some males like him.
So would it be plausible to assume that Cackle's breeders aren't pure for Black-tailed Red? And that it's possible they don't cull off-color individuals from the breeding program?

Back
Top Bottom