What did you do in the garden today?

weeded a whole bunch to mulch over, lucky chick chicks! harvested some zucchini

starting to plant for our winter garden, peas, lettuce, carrots, rutabaga, cornsalad, broccoli, mustard, radishes...etc., etc.

yum!

Pollinated yellow squash, and got mad at my single watermelon vine, I had cut a piece of fencing for support, it's maybe a foot high, but It refuses to go back down on the ground. Lol also planted some birdseed for the chickens, it's just a simple white seed that i picked up from walmart, but my bantam loved em so I decided to try germinating them and they r taking off! Also have pinto beans, purple asparagus and red grapes growing

So you put 2 panels parallel to each other and grow the tomatoes in the middle. How close together, about a foot or 2? Not enough for you to get between them but you can reach through and plant your tomatoes I'm assuming? Those tomato cages are a joke. They aren't very sturdy and not nearly tall enough. My tomatoes always end up hanging over and cutting itself off. That's when they grow. This year blight got all but one of mine.
The easiest way to do it is to put up one CP. It's easiest if you put up your posts first, then attach the CP with zip ties. Plant the tomatoes along side it, get them mulched and tended. (I like to start them out under milk jugs) Then you can place the second panel in front of the row of tomatoes. I put my panels about 15" apart.

The easiest way to do it is to put up one CP. It's easiest if you put up your posts first, then attach the CP with zip ties. Plant the tomatoes along side it, get them mulched and tended. (I like to start them out under milk jugs) Then you can place the second panel in front of the row of tomatoes. I put my panels about 15" apart

I see. I was thinking you put them both up then try to plant between them. That wouldn't be hard if your soil was nice and soft. Mine isn't yet, but hope to get it there one day with the BTE method. I like this idea LG. Thanks for sharing!!

I see. I was thinking you put them both up then try to plant between them. That wouldn't be hard if your soil was nice and soft. Mine isn't yet, but hope to get it there one day with the BTE method. I like this idea LG. Thanks for sharing!! 
I planted some straight neck squash and filled another raised bed. I think I'll have time for green beans too. I didn't have a summer garden so fall will have to do. I am planting in horse manure and sawdust. Hope it works.

I planted some straight neck squash and filled another raised bed. I think I'll have time for green beans too. I didn't have a summer garden so fall will have to do. I am planting in horse manure and sawdust. Hope it works.
I'm skipping a fall garden. I have some work I need to do in my garden then I'm going to let it sit and cook until spring. As long as the horse manure isn't fresh, it should work good.

Over the last two weeks we have installed 3 more raised beds, totaling 6 now. Also have pulled up the beans, a bug got to them, and corn to get the bed ready for fall planting. Attempting a last minute try at some unique squash I got from a friend, he had a large number of volunteers in his compost. Snagged an 80 gallon tumbling compost bin on Craig's for $50, so happy about that one. Planted some of the fall crops, Kale, broccoli, peas, beets, carrots, and spinach. Harvesting has been something crazy. Our peppers have decided to go crazy. We have more cayenne than we can use, are freezing the bell peppers, jalapeños, and coolpeños every couple of days. That is about it for the "overview". There has been tins going on but not enough room to write it all out. Hope that everyone is having great success. Good luck and God bless.

Last night, hubby and I went out to the green house with flash light in hand. He held the light, while I pulled a ripped trash bag full of leaves... and yellow jackets! out of there. I then dropped the bag into a tub of very strong ammonia water I had waiting, and set an other bag on top of it, after stomping the bag and it's contents down into the tub, and pouring an other cup full of ammonia into a hole I tore in the uppermost section of the bag. In all, I used about a qt. of ammonia. This morning, no signs of yellow jackets, so I can move forward with getting it set up for fall planting. (We moved it last fall, and it sits on a fallow area, heavy clay, plenty of rocks. No real soil to speak of. So:

I'll remove all of the leaves from there. I had stashed a lot of bags there to keep them dry last fall. Hoping there are no more yellow jackets. Shred the leaves with the mower. Mix them with some super chicken compost, some soil, ashes, and get a truck load of finished compost from my favorite shopping location: the town dump. I have some fall greens and some tomato cuttings started. Also, thinking about trying a cucumber cutting, and plan to dig up a pepper plant or two. They will stay in the green house until the weather becomes too cold, then I'll move them down to my basement with grow lights.

Today I weeded, all day. The chickens appreciated the grass being pulled up, all the grass and bugs they can eat! I planted a bed of beets and covered the pumpkin patch with fresh compost. Also harvested peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, basil, pineapple sage and marigold flowers. I hope to plant turnips and mustard greens this weekend. Maybe some more crops for fall, not sure yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom