What does the squat and wing spread mean?

I AM SO GLAD THAT THIS IS A NORMAL BEHAVIOR! However, one thing that is super annoying is that I will just be walking in the yard with of course a trail of chickens (we have 28) and they will cut in front of me and just stop dead in their tracks. I must say I've been doing some pretty awesome ninja jumps over them so I dont squish them with my feet!

My four 24 week old chickens have started doing this squatting - and one of them also started to lay. One of the nice things I've found is that out very shy Barnevelder has started doing it and now she can be stroked and also picked up for a check over. Previously, I only checked her over when they were asleap. The others will jump onto my lap etc but only as she's matured will the Barnie take a treat from my hand and take a stroke.

I like to think of it as a "curtsey" - something a young lady might do for a gentleman caller!
love.gif

And, yes, so annoying when they just stop dead in front of you.
th.gif

Thanks the info! One of my chickens would not let me get close to her so in the morning when I feed them I stay next to the feed until she got hungry enough and I could pet her... And all of a sudden she started doing the squat (so has my other girl) ... I was wondering what the behavior was! It makes it easier if I need to pick her up!

Last edited:
I think this is typical behavior. My understanding is this is a sign of submission, and maybe something they would do for a rooster. All of my girls do this. I also understand it's a sign of maturity, so maybe they're getting close to laying?
yeah thats what i heard but i have seen full grown hens do it. My easter egger just did it to me and she is almost 4 months old. is she going to lay soon? that would be great

I am glad I read this I asked the same question but for some reason i have been getting 6 eggs every morning for 3 weeks because my six chicks just started laying and all of a sudden I am getting 5 every day or every other day and I thought that squatting thing was like a defense mechanism,because their egg was stuck inside them and they knew it would hurt if i picked them up. Is it normal for them to lay an egg every other day and how do you tell who is not laying and who is?

This is so HILARIOUS!!! Both my Golden Comets and now one of my Dominiques are doing this. My wife was like "Oh, there wanting me to pet them" then I told her MOUNT instead of pet! I laughed my but off.

Yes, it's a maturity/instinct thing- they normally do it for mating. Totally normal, I notice they also do it as a response when they are startled.

Back
Top Bottom