What goes into raising a friendly roo?

It helps to know what breed of rooster you have first. My next question would be is it hatchery stock or did you get it from a breeder?

If you got it from a hatchery, then there's no way to tell how he will be until he's grown. If he's from a breeder, he will more than likely have his father's temperament.

Otherwise, play it by ear. If your roo doesn't like to be touched or handled then don't do it. If he's displaying aggressive behavior(s) toward you (such as dropping one wing and doing the "rooster dance") pick him up and hold him firmly for a while. Depending on the severity of the situation, you can also lay him on his back, pet him roughly, smack his waddles around all while speaking very loudly and in a scary voice. This is NOT animal abuse, rather you're just showing him that you are the boss and not to be messed with.

If you have a docile roo, then there is not much you need to do except keep taking care of him the same way you do your other birds.

Roosters tend to go through a "rambunctious" stage anywhere from 4-7 months old depending on the breed. This is a time where they are very horny and will do stupid things because of their hormones. Don't let this scare you because after this is all over he can become a completely different bird than what you expected him to be. My guy kept pecking the hens away from food during this stage and when they were dust-bathing. Now he's calling them over food and waits patiently while they eat first! He doesn't bother them when they are dust-bathing neither. He ended up being a very good rooster, even though his father didn't have the best temperament.

You really don't know what you have until he's a year old but you can definitely cull him earlier if you see that he's being problematic. I would say if a rooster is more than 9 months old and is acting bad then you should seriously consider getting rid of him. There are way too many good roosters out there for you to waste your time on one that has a crappy attitude.

I agree that roosters are great. Not only because they look cool but they serve more of a purpose than just breeding. They add to the complex social structure of a flock as they not only protect but maintain order amongst everyone else. They are quick to point things out (good or bad) and do a good job. Roosters are a gamble because you almost never know how they will turn out, but when you get a good one it's like hitting the jackpot.

Hope this helps.
My rooster drops his winds,but never dances.Usually he drops his wings when his girls are around me,but regardless of that he never attacks me,the wing drop isn't always a sign of aggression.

Other behaviors to look for in a good cockerel would be how he approaches the pullets and hens as he begins to mate. A good cockerel will not be overly rough and aggressive, "smooth" in his actions instead of brutal, and the girls will emit few complaints when he mates them.

Another thing that marks a good cockerel to earmark to keep is how he behaves when he's near you. He should automatically move out of your way as you approach him. You shouldn't need to halt your forward movement or step out of his way. He should smoothly remove himself from your path.

If he pecks at your hand when he's near you when you reach for something near him, you may reconsider keeping that one. Likewise, if he sneaks up behind you when your back is turned, that's not one with a peaceful future.

So true! The 'friendliest' young cockrels can become the jerks they really are, as hormones kick in, and attitude develops. I like the cockrels who stay out of my way, because I've found that they are more likely to be respectful of humans as adults. The rooster's job is to take care of his hens, watch for danger (not me!), and generally be totally involved with being a chicken. Mary

This is an older thread, but oh well. In my experience the best way to have a "nice" rooster is:

• Start out with a decent boy, some chickens are jerks just like some people. The super friendly babies tend to be more aggressive as adults (because they get too cocky/brash IMO). Not a super controllable factor, but still.
  • Don't over handle them or spoil them. Once it's clear you've got a roo, back off on the handling.
  • Don't ever make him mad/scared for no reason because he will remember and he will use aggression as defense.

Hens, you can make friends with. Roosters, you have to have a respectful relationship with. Again, just my experience but none of my roos have been super proactively friendly as adults, however the ones that were very friendly as young ones turned out mean & aggressive when they became adults.

I had the fortune to have "volunteer" roosters. We have feral chickens in our area and sometimes one will decide they like the idea of free food, shelter & protection from predators, with the added perk for the roosters of some lovely ladies' company. The best way to get a nice rooster is to have a volunteer roo, haha. We've raised mean ones but we've never had a mean volunteer, in fact our current king of the roost is an older mutt volunteer who came here when his dad kicked him out of his feral flock upon reaching adulthood. He is always sweet to the girls, shares food with them, has never chased or pecked even when some medical thing or handling is necessary. Even ignores my obnoxious toy poodle, haha. If he was a purebred I would get 12 more of them. As it is all I can do is hope some of his sons turn out that nice.

I have some roosters that will allow me to pick them up but other will never let me handle them, one leghorn will run away screaming as soon as I get close to him. I never handle him as baby.

I may not be of much help as I only have had one rooster and feel like I've lucked out with him. Turned a year old almost 3 weeks ago. I think him being an easter egger has worked in my favor. I didn't spend a whole lot of time handling them as chicks. He was very curious of me when they were all still in the brooder then as they went outside he became more distant so I left him alone. The only things I actually did with him was walk towards him to show I wasn't afraid of him or that he wasn't dominant over me. Any time I'd crouch down to do something he'd lower a wing and stomp at me. Read that was a sign of dominance or something. He'd do it to the hens as well. So I'd gently pick him up to show that he wasn't the dominant one. I'd put him down once he stopped squirming. He's a great rooster, imo. He calls them for bugs and treats, fluffs up nesting spots, watches for predators, ect. Once he even ran up to a dog that was loose. My back was turned then I heard him then heard the hens cackling and before I know it they're running away then I see him running towards a dog.

I have noticed that if you desensitize a Roo through young age (physical contact etc.), and allow them to imprint on you, they seem less aggressive and more agreeable--Just a thought-Don't take my word.

Your experience getting a good roo in that manner may have been pure coincidence. Far more people will tell of an opposite experience.

But the key is to watch for the first sign of hormones kicking in and then back off from any more contact with his unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks! I suppose it may have been pure luck.

Back
Top Bottom