What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

They are all so adorable! I have had a change of the friendly guard myself recently. Last spring one of our silkies decided she needed to be a mommy and before I knew it she had 2 eggs developing. One was a chicken and one was a duck. Well, as you could imagine since duck eggs take longer than chicken we ran into a problem. Once the chick hatched she lost interest in the duck egg, thinking it was defective. It hatched but did not make it sadly. We did end up with a chick though and as only children can sometimes be she was a handful. Lilly decided that she was a dog, NOT a chicken. She had no interest in sleeping in the coop, no interest in hanging with any of the flock, no interest in being outside at all. So we let her have her way. She slept in a dog crate and she had free reign to go where ever she wanted. Finally we started to transition her to being outside, putting her in a pen with other females who had been low on the pecking order and needed a space to themselves. Everyday Lilly would jump the fence, walk around the house and knock on the door. My husband would let her in, she would go to her crate and lay her egg then loudly demand to be taken back out into the pen with the others. Lilly soon began to forget about our hugs and cuddles, she no longer wanted to come inside and sleep in her crate. So Lilly has now decided that she is in fact a chicken and lives with her lady friends in the small pen. She is still friendly but not interested in hanging with me anymore. But I guess that is how things goes and she is where she belongs, lol.

I have japan bantam, this dude is mean and spurs you every chance he gets. Gets my wife the dogs and chase the cat. Wont do it as long as you look at him. Turn your head and wham. What can I do about it?

I have japan bantam, this dude is mean and spurs you every chance he gets. Gets my wife the dogs and chase the cat. Wont do it as long as you look at him. Turn your head and wham. What can I do about it?
Not too sure about what to do for that. You can try putting him in a submissive position repeatedly everyday so you become the dominant chicken in the flock, this worked on one of my aggressive hens. You could also file his spurs or remove them, I file the spurs off my banty hens. When I had an aggressive roo I rehomed him to someone who had a free range flock and wanted a feisty male to protect her flock.

My blue silkie cock is probably the friendliest in our flock besides one of our chicks and a lavender orpington hen. His name is Crooked because he had wry neck as a chick. He comes when called or when he sees you flip-flops! We always wonder if he'll come to us in the fall when we're wearing tenis-shoes.

Mine is Donna. I got her as a day old chick with 3 of her brothers, who have since got to rooster heaven. She always used to like to burrow in my hair, so I named her after my hairdresser. She remained my one chicken who will jump up on my or let me pick her up. She now has two chicks of her own and I was pleased that she lets me pick them up too and has taught them not to be afraid of me.

Last edited:

I have the same - see the guy in my profile pic? I carry a stick with me and point it at him occasionally and that keeps him back, but unfortunately he jumps at every visitor if they turn their backs on him.

I ordered light brahmas and buff orps because of their reputation as friendly and docile. I ordered marans and Easter eggers for egg color, and andalusians because I like their perky, quirky personality. They are all only a week and a half old, but so far the marans are awful, just wild, hate being caught, scream like I'm trying to eat them. The buffs are right behind them, go figure. The light brahmas are pretty neutral, but prefer not to be messed with, and the EEs are split, 2 are sweet and don't freak out when being picked up, 2 are wild. My friendliest and most curious are my little Andalusians. They're my favorites. They like to stay right by me and try to nuzzle up under me when I'm sitting down. They try to flutter on my arm when I open the brooder :)

I got quite a few that's friendly from different breeds. I got a friendly black copper Marans, a friendly leghorn, a very friendly New Hampshire, 2 friendly barred rocks, a friendly Australorps, 2 friendly Easter Eggers, friendly BSL, and a very friendly speckled Sussex and I also have the same breeds that are on the opposite spectrum, very aloof and doesn't want to do anything with me while others lands on my arm or my knees if am sitting down.

Is this a Dominique hen?

Back
Top Bottom