What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

Help!! What breed and gender is this chicken!?

I've got black australorps, RI reds, and buff orpingtons making up my flock and they all run to greet me when they hear the back door open. Most of them will eat out of my hand. But, my buff orpingtons are probably the friendliest. They let me pet them, and will grudgingly tolerate being held.

The absolute most friendly chicken I even knew was a black Polish crested my mom had. She would run to you if she heard you outside. Stand at your feet, wanting to be held and jump in your lap if you sat down. It might have been because my parents' place has a lot of hawks, and she couldn't see up past her puff ball to look for them, and she felt safest in someone's arms. But, I like to think she was just a lovable chicken.

I've noticed that the friendliest chickens I have are the ones who see me coming with treats. (AKA - All of them)
wink.png

Actually, the friendliest chickens we have at this point are the ones that we raised from hatching. Of course, breed does play a part. The Silver Spangled Hamburgs we hatched are not as friendly as the the Dark Cornish we hatched, but they are much more tame (read - calmer) than the SSH's that we got from a hatchery. I think it really does matter how much you handle them from the time you get them, if you're holding them a few minutes after they hatch, it makes a difference.

The tamest and friendliest chicken we have right now is a rooster that was hatched here, cross between a Cuckoo Marans roo and a Wyandotte Hen. He comes running to me and lets me pet him and hold him if I want to. He's huge, so I don't usually want to hold him, but he is really affectionate and is happy to sit at my feet and be stroked, unlike his dad who is a snot, always needing to be in charge. Lol!

I've noticed that the friendliest chickens I have are the ones who see me coming with treats. (AKA - All of them)
wink.png

Actually, the friendliest chickens we have at this point are the ones that we raised from hatching. Of course, breed does play a part. The Silver Spangled Hamburgs we hatched are not as friendly as the the Dark Cornish we hatched, but they are much more tame (read - calmer) than the SSH's that we got from a hatchery. I think it really does matter how much you handle them from the time you get them, if you're holding them a few minutes after they hatch, it makes a difference.

The tamest and friendliest chicken we have right now is a rooster that was hatched here, cross between a Cuckoo Marans roo and a Wyandotte Hen. He comes running to me and lets me pet him and hold him if I want to. He's huge, so I don't usually want to hold him, but he is really affectionate and is happy to sit at my feet and be stroked, unlike his dad who is a snot, always needing to be in charge. Lol!

I have 3 SSH and they are flighty. In fact, only one of them will join the others around my feet when I am feeding treats or mealworms. But! One of my SSH hens was the successful broody that raised 2 out of four chicks that hatched. She was a very good mother. Her two remaining chicks are now my two roosters in my flock. The parents of the roosters were a white leghorn hen and a buff laced polish tophat rooster. They are crested, and have some of the coloration of the father (slate grey legs) but have white feathers and red combs (one rose, the other straight). The mutts of the flock! Interesting mix - not human aggressive thus far, and I hope it stays that way. They are in the middle of their teenage hormonal rage right now, and still no moves to attack, so I'm hoping that the father's personality (very human friendly) is what they both inherited.

I have 3 SSH and they are flighty. In fact, only one of them will join the others around my feet when I am feeding treats or mealworms. But! One of my SSH hens was the successful broody that raised 2 out of four chicks that hatched. She was a very good mother. Her two remaining chicks are now my two roosters in my flock. The parents of the roosters were a white leghorn hen and a buff laced polish tophat rooster. They are crested, and have some of the coloration of the father (slate grey legs) but have white feathers and red combs (one rose, the other straight). The mutts of the flock! Interesting mix - not human aggressive thus far, and I hope it stays that way. They are in the middle of their teenage hormonal rage right now, and still no moves to attack, so I'm hoping that the father's personality (very human friendly) is what they both inherited.
You're so fortunate that one went broody! That's amazing!

I LOVE my SSH's. They were the first flock we ever had and, yes, they are all very flighty (All 15 of the original flock purchased as day old chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery, 14 girls and a boy). But... the two that we hatched from them (the broody was a Dark Cornish hen) are much less flighty, one pullet and one cockerel, although still more flighty than our other breeds. We handled them all extensively from the very beginning and they will eat out of my hand and will let me handle them in a confined setting, even getting onto my lap if they are in the mood, but trying to catch them when they are free-ranging is an exercise in futility. Lol! I love the way they look and act, so spirited and quite aloof, but they all come running when they know I have treats.

The original rooster that fathered the two younger SSH was quite aggressive to humans, but the cockerel that came from him is the best guy we have on the place out of the four roos we have. He is on top of everything, going from coop to coop to make sure everything is okay. He's very intelligent, even taking a dozen girls from the original coop and getting them to move into another coop with him with no help from me, I just let him do it because I was so impressed with him. I was totally amazed at how in charge he is. He helps the pullets find a place to lay, he's so gentle with them and takes them to food, very protective of them without being aggressive with us. Best guy we've ever had here. Watches over the place like a watch dog. I could go on and on about how great the SSH breed is, they have impressed me so much. Here are a few of the original flock that we have here.

Back
Top Bottom