What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Once you "see" you can do it at any age. I have sexed 2 litters now at a week old (18 kits total and each was correct. But have a few more week olds marked now to try another litter :) coulda been lucky!)

A lil tricky at first...especially if your learning and have all of one sex lol. When I see both boys and girls I clearly can see a difference lol but all girls rarely happen and all boys I've had happen :gig

Question:  How can you tell gender on baby bunnies?  I have 3 kits about a week old and all their bottoms are identical, but I don't know if I'm looking at 3 girls or 3 boys?  I can tell on older ones, but these are throwing me.  I don't see balls on any, but then I figured it's because they're a week old?

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question, I just want to know what I've got and I'm new to babies!!!

My boys (nzw) don't have super visable or swinging testicles until about 12 weeks-16 weeks. If examined closely around 8 weeks you can see the bare area on each side where they will drop in time :)
@dutchbunny83
 You will not see testicals until they are much older. you can google search how to sex a rabbit. or you can message me and i can explain!

Question: How can you tell gender on baby bunnies? I have 3 kits about a week old and all their bottoms are identical, but I don't know if I'm looking at 3 girls or 3 boys? I can tell on older ones, but these are throwing me. I don't see balls on any, but then I figured it's because they're a week old?

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question, I just want to know what I've got and I'm new to babies!!!
There was a time when I could sex a large-breed bunny at 3 days of age, but my eyes just aren't that sharp any more. I usually don't even try until they are at least 2 - 3 weeks old. Testicles make it easy of course, but they don't become visible for several weeks, and even does have bare patches in those places.

A kind of funny trick someone taught me has to do with the fact that very young buns often pee when you pick them up. With a little female, the urine just kind of dribbles down the tail; if it can shoot you in the eye, it's usually male!

By the time bunnies get their eyes open, they usually get over the peeing on you thing. By that time, you can often see the difference. Cradle the bunny on its back in one hand. Catch the tail between a couple of your fingers on the other hand, and gently pull the tail toward the bunny's back. Just in front of the anus is a little fuzzy bump, press gently on the belly side of that bump. On a boy, what is exposed will be round, like a doughnut, and it will protrude about the same amount all way around with a tiny round hole in the center. A female's vulva will appear to be v-shaped, with a tiny slit; it will stand up more on the belly side and taper down to pretty much flush with the anus. The doe's vulva will be closer to the anus than a little buck's penis, but we are only talking millimeters here, so it takes a bit of practice to see the difference.

As if that weren't hard enough, there is a genetic flaw called a split penis that can make a buck's parts look like a doe. I have seen very experienced rabbit breeders get embarrassed when they accidentally entered a buck in a junior doe class. So, we learn to check, and check, and check again. People laugh when I say, "that's a doe - at least, it was the last time I looked." but all rabbit breeders that have had a visit from the "sex-change fairy" know what I mean!

Last edited:
Question: How can you tell gender on baby bunnies? I have 3 kits about a week old and all their bottoms are identical, but I don't know if I'm looking at 3 girls or 3 boys? I can tell on older ones, but these are throwing me. I don't see balls on any, but then I figured it's because they're a week old?

At a week old it is super hard to tell! Their parts are so tiny. I still struggle at 4-6 weeks.

Thank you all for your help!!!

According to google, in newborns (which mine are about a week now), the males holes are farther apart and the girls are touching?

So I'm guessing male:

female:

And I don't know, male maybe?

They seem like they have really long tails for rabbits, maybe because they don't have a lot of fur. I really like the coat on this one I think is a girl. She's a mutt the mom is an Altex we don't even know for sure what the dad is, but I thought her coloring was different, I like the white inside the ears against the dark and on the belly. :)

Last edited:
So we have a Dutch bun, pet quality, that I'm having some sexing questions about. We got him as a baby bun, and he was sexed male by the (reputable) breeder. Now he is about six months old, and still no testicles. When you look at his genitals, he looks just like a male, but my other buck's testicles were very obvious by four months. Do rabbits suffer from undescended testicles? I am able to sex all of my other mature rabbits no problem, and his parts def. look male. Have you guys had this issue with any of your buns? Thanks!

So we have a Dutch bun, pet quality, that I'm having some sexing questions about. We got him as a baby bun, and he was sexed male by the (reputable) breeder. Now he is about six months old, and still no testicles. When you look at his genitals, he looks just like a male, but my other buck's testicles were very obvious by four months. Do rabbits suffer from undescended testicles? I am able to sex all of my other mature rabbits no problem, and his parts def. look male. Have you guys had this issue with any of your buns? Thanks!
Well, yes, cryptorchidism does occur in rabbits, though a rabbit as young as yours may be playing a game of "now you see 'em, now you don't."

A rabbit buck has the ability to pull his testicles back into his body when cold or seriously stressed (it may help to protect them in the event of a fight with another rabbit). Most adult bucks keep them out all of the time, particularly during the warmer months. On the show table, a senior buck that has one or both testicles not visible is DQ'd; a junior must have both either showing or not showing, but one of each is a DQ. Even when the testicle is pulled inside, there is usually some baggy, slack skin to show where it would be, though.

Thank you all for your help!!!

According to google, in newborns (which mine are about a week now), the males holes are farther apart and the girls are touching?

So I'm guessing male:

female:

And I don't know, male maybe?

They seem like they have really long tails for rabbits, maybe because they don't have a lot of fur. I really like the coat on this one I think is a girl. She's a mutt the mom is an Altex we don't even know for sure what the dad is, but I thought her coloring was different, I like the white inside the ears against the dark and on the belly. :)
As a guess, I would say the top is a male and the other two are females. But I would definitely double check in another week or two.

How many colors are there in Netherland Dwarfs? I'm thinking about adding those to my Rabbittry. I'd be breeding Mini Rex's, Netherland Dwarfs and hopefully Dutches soon.
Questions I have:
1: how many colors does the ND's have?
2: what's a good number to start with?
3: how much do paperd ND's cost?
4: how many does can I get in a 30" by 36" by 16" cage? It's wire.

If anyone has tips and suggestions about how to breed, make a barn, barn setup a, cages, waters, feeders. ANYTHING. I made a thread called Netherland Dwarfs!! Please check it out. I need to start putting info together, so I can start getting mom and dad on board and to start getting the $$. Thanks.

As a guess, I would say the top is a male and the other two are females. But I would definitely double check in another week or two.

I think its buck, doe, buck as she has labled them,, but I do see testicals coming in( very hard to see at this age) but I have been proven wrong as I've only raised 3litters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom