what to feed peacocks???

Here the only Purina game bird I can get at *any* store is this and it's usually several months old. Mine won't eat it:

Source:http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Purina-Gamebird-Starter-30-Protein-50-Pound/Chicken-Feed

Purina Gamebird Starter 30% Protein - 50 pound
Purina Game Bird Startena (30% protein) product is formulated to promote rapid growth through bone and muscle development. Feed Game Bird Startena for the first six weeks of life. How To Feed...Feed free choice to birds as a sole ration until 6 weeks of age. Start with a small amount on paper or cardboard to make sure that all birds begin eating.

Important Considerations:
1. Plenty of clean, fresh water should be available to the birds at all times.
2. A feeding program is only as effective as the management practices followed.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein, not less than 30.0% Crude Fiber, not less than 6.5% Crude Fat, not more than 2.5% Lysine, not less than 1.5% Methionine, not less than 0.5% Calcium, not less than 1.0% Calcium, not more than 1.5% Phosphorus, not less than 0.8% Salt, not less than 0.25% Salt, not more than 0.75%

-Kathy

Last edited:
Since my feed choices are limited and my peas are picky, I feed the adults a combo of 25.3% turkey starter, TMC Gamebird mix, rolled corn, BOSS, oyster shell and alfalfa hay.

Swanson Game & Turkey Starter

Feed for Starting/Growing Turkeys
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not less than 25.3%
Lysine Not less than 1.64%
Methionine Not less than 0.54%
Crude Fat Not less than 6.7%
Crude Fiber Not more than 3.1%
Ash Not more than 9.1%
Calcium Not less than 1.60%
Calcium Not more than 2.00%
Phosphorus Not less than 0.90%
Salt Not less than 0.08%
Salt Not more than 0.78%
INGREDIENTS: Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Distillers dried grains, Vegetable Oil & Animal Fat Blend, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Wheat Millrun, Sodium Chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, D-Cal Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid
FEEDING DIRECTIONS: Feed as a sole ration to turkeys. Provide plenty of clean, fresh water at all times.

Game Bird TMC Mix

gamebird-blends-tmc-gamebird-mix.jpg

TMC GAMEBIRD MIX - Small Yellow Corn, R/C Oats, R/C Wheat, Red & White Milo, 28% Pellets, Safflower, Trapper Peas, 21% Protein Pellets, Small Black Oil Sunflower, Alfalfa Pellets, Charcoal.
  • Guaranteed Analysis
  • Protein, not less than 13.50%
  • Fat, not less than 4.50%
  • Fiber, not more than 5.00%
  • Ash, not more than 3.00%

-Kathy

Just a FYI- The high % protein usually given for BOSS is for it shelled. Fed with shell its rated at 9%. They still love it.

Hi Mr. Super peacock man
we are getting a male 2year old peacock should I get a female as well?
And can they fly at that age?

Hi Mr. Super peacock man
we are getting a male 2year old peacock should I get a female as well?
And can they fly at that age?

Peacocks can fly at 5 DAYS old, not far, but they will fly right out of the brooder. At 2 years they can fly very well and very far. If you want to have chicks someday you will need a hen, also if you plan on free ranging eventually. If you free range a mature male and you do not have a hen, there is a good chance he will leave in search of a mate during the breeding season. If he will be penned and you do not wish to breed, you could just have a chicken or pheasant in with him for companionship.

If I establish my male first, ie. pen him. How long should I do it for before I get his females. He is getting 2. Then do I have to lock them all up again?

I always keep my males and females together all the time. I keep them penned up all year. My hen even has chicks with her and the male doesn't bother them.

Back
Top Bottom