What treat did your chickies get today?

If I already have sun flowers growing can I harvest and feed the seeds to my chickens?
[/quote

I would think so. My daughter grew sunflowers last year and we fed seeds to the chickens. They were the larger gray-
striped ones though and the chickens did not like them as well as the black oil sunflower seeds. I may try and grow different sunflowers this year. Last year she grew Russian Mammoths, I think.
I gave my chickens a pork roast bone yesterday.They picked it CLEAN- as in it looked like there had never been any meat on it and it had bleached in the sun!

Last edited:
I would think so. My daughter grew sunflowers last year and we fed seeds to the chickens. They were the larger gray- striped ones though and the chickens did not like them ad well as the black oil sunflower seeds. I may try and grow different sunflowets this year. Last year she grew Russian Mammoths, I think.
I gave my chickens a pork roast bone yesterday.They picked it CLEAN- as in it looked like there had never been any meat on it and it had bleached in the sun!
I think i just got some Russian mammoths seeds too....maybe ill just grow them to be pretty and get a different kind for feeding.
We eat alot of venison so we always have bones to pick over, game meat is ok too I presume? Must be funny to see them pick at a bone like a dog..lol I cant wait to get my little guys but I have to wait til May 12 (mypetchicken)

I think i just got some Russian mammoths seeds too....maybe ill just grow them to be pretty and get a different kind for feeding.
We eat alot of venison so we always have bones to pick over, game meat is ok too I presume? Must be funny to see them pick at a bone like a dog..lol I cant wait to get my little guys but I have to wait til May 12 (mypetchicken)

As far as I know they can eat whatever kind of meat. My dogs and cats resent the fact that the chickens get the bones I think, but they do a better job of not wasting a bit and not making a mess by dragging it everywhere! Besides, the dogs and cats get any leftovet fat, so they are not left out.

I started worrying that I was giving too many treats, so now they get treats in the morning and I make them warmed chick crumble mash with dried mealworms for a bedtime snack…..they are so spoiled!

Last edited:
I started worrying that I was giving too many treats, so now they get treats in the morning and I make them warmed chick crumble mash with dried mealworms for a bedtime snack…..they are so spoiled!
wee.gif
That sounds good.......been gone all day... ,mine got some BOSS when I got home but I just may fix them some mash tonight since its going to be turning cold.. Dread tomorrow's cold//////////// going to feed and add more water tonight so I don't have to worry about that tomorrow. But the mash sounds like just the deal for them...

Back
Top Bottom