What treat did your chickies get today?

Long list of stuff today, easier to just show...

Pre-processing...

Post-processed, and on the way to the coop...

Wowsers! How many girls do you have? Bet they are always pleased to see those buckets!
1f60a.png

I honestly don't know the official count, darn chicken math and all, hatching, culling, selling... Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 70 right now I'm guessing... Mixed flock of bantams, standard chickens, guinea fowl and peafowl.... And yes they are always happy to see me...

Getting free day old (or bruised) produce and sometimes bread or yogurt from a local grocery store makes feeding them much more cost effective and they benefit from always having a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables all year long... Sometimes I do the math of what I feed them based on what it's sold for and it's cringe worthy how much waste there is in US grocery stores... I selectively hand pick the best stuff every day and I pass on pickup truck fulls of other things every week... It's sad in a nation where about 40% of all fresh fruits and vegetables are tossed in the trash that more grocery stores won't donate it to those that can use it...

I can attest to the waste at grocery stores.....I work in an upstate NY chain of grocery stores and I travel between 3 of them to do my job. You would not believe the amount of food piles in the storage area that must go in the garbage. My stores even have padlocks on the garbage machine (I'm sure mainly for safety, but also to prevent theft) This food could be "bruised" or a little spoiled veggies to expired cakes and other baked goods. I counted 5 1/4 sheet cakes and 3 or 4 lemon merengue pies in a basket, one day, to be disposed of because they expired the day before. There is one saving grace there though, I do know that the manager in produce does deal with some local farmers to buy at a discount some not so great fruit and veg, but that's the only food that I am aware of in my stores that are shared with those who could use it. It makes me sick to see such waste of food.

Back
Top Bottom