What treat did your chickies get today?

My girls just got a load of worm castings - my worm farm was so full I couldn't fit anymore scraps in it. I am in Australia we call sweets lollies - so we are now calling castings Worm Lollies

Cilantro stems. Mealworms. 2 apples. Brussels sprouts. Kale. They are SPOILED. I have a box of organic produce delivered every Wednesday for the girls. This week they got a papaya.

This morning I broke the girls cardinal-rule; I brought out treats before everyone was out of the nest box.
I gave them a plate of roasted beet skins and tops, topped with cooked pinto beans, loaded with cilantro and thyme, garnished with crushed eggshell.
The barred rock came running from her nest; she took a few bites, paused for a second, laid an egg right there in the grass, then continued with her morning snacking.
1f644.png
1f60f.png
She never misses a chance for goodies.

I was cleaning out the fridge and had my awesome "Big Bertha" food processor out so the ladies got a special mix of finely chopped goods. I tossed in left overs; lean cold pork roast, shredded purple cabbage, a bunch of old parsley, the dregs from the bottom of my salsa jar, a hard boiled egg with shell, and a few frozen strawberries: gave it all a whirl and oh my goodness, those birds were in heaven... I waited for everyone to come out of the nest before carrying the goody bowl out. Learned my lesson.

Today they got some assorted dried larvae, oats, kale, yogurt, and some tomato. My hen was just getting over eating something weird, so I kept her out of it.

They have been getting scratch, flock block, various kitchen leftovers, mealworms (because there are no bugs, they love them!), raisins and last week they got leftover communion bread! :)

Back
Top Bottom