What treat did your chickies get today?

Pineapple skin, strawberry tops and the left over fiber from my juicer.

They also got a load of grass clippings from the mower.

I thought I was the only crazy person who hand picked grass and clover from the lawn to feed the chickens. :)

I thought I was the only crazy person who hand picked grass and clover from the lawn to feed the chickens. :)

Nope, I do it too . As I'm doing it I think to myself " My neighbors would think I'm nuts if they knew what I was doing!"

Nope I lift dandelions and most anything else green from the lawn and garden. I had planted some zinnias and cosmos thinking my wife and granddaughter would enjoy some late blooms. The chickens stripped them to the stems. That does the weeding and provides a variety for the chicks. I planted Crimson Clover and oats for winter forage.

Last edited:
I was pulling up the marigolds in the garden today and tossed the remaining flowers over the fence and they ate every one. Yesterday I pulled carrots for our dinner and gave them the tops which along with squash or melon seed are their favorite garden scraps.

Back
Top Bottom