What treat did your chickies get today?

Great charts. Thanks. I noticed banana was listed but w/out the peel. My hens love to eat the inner skin and strip it clean. Sometime, I put a banana skin in a blender with goat milk and make then a drink and they love it and I have seen no ill effects. Does anyone know if banana peel is somehow toxic to the birds as it isn't explained. Also.....I have rhubarb in the yard and have fenced it off as I am old the leaves are toxic to many living things. The birds fight to try to get into the pen to peck on the leaves. I go nuts trying to keep them out, yet make it fairly easy for me to get in weekly to harvest. They eat lots of holes in the leaves and no one has died to stopped trying to do it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I saw that on the list. Yogurt of all things! WOW!
When ever my big outdoor cat gets an abscess from a rodent bite (squirrels, moles, gophers, etc), I give him plain yogurt twice a day for a couple of weeks. The abscess always drains within hours and I clean the injury with peroxide. He shows up like clockwork for his yogurt treats every time. Hasn't required a vet to treat an abscess in years, although it is vital to keep those rabies vaccines UTD!

Once mine & the neighbors dog both ran off together and got into some GI bacterial infected water. the neighbors dog quit eating & drinking so he took it to the vet. His dog was hospitalized for over a week and cost them thousands of dollars. When my Butters showed the first sign of disinterest in his breakfast (isn't it always on a Sunday :/ ), I loped a cup of plain yogurt in a bowl... he licked at that until it was gone and about 15 minutes later he woofed down his breakfast & drank water. Never had so much as a hint of a problem after that, but we gave him a generous dollop daily for good measure and because he loves it ;)

The probiotics in the yogurt support the animals digestive tract & natural immune response, especially when they are under stress.

The chickens love yogurt but do not get it often, and when they do it's mixed with ground flax & or unsalted raw nuts & fresh fruit/veg.

My gosh so much to learn about keeping them healthy. I am a Nurse Practitioner and can deal with people so I suppose I will be the chicken whisperer. Keep the info coming gang! Jennifer

Mine got some left over salad (romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, radishes)
smile.png

Yes to the bell peppers. They love them here in CT! Last year I let them into my garden bed to do what I hoped would be some debugging. Day one, they are the pepper leaves....Day two the peppers!!! Yikes! Good thing it was near the end of the season, or I would have been very angry with myself.

Back
Top Bottom