What treat did your chickies get today?

My chickens got a quart of Fermented fruit. A mix of fruits; peels, cores and trimmings used to make vinegar. First batch of the year.

They loved it. No there is no vinegar in the fruit. I just soak the fruit a day or two until the water bubbles. At that point the fruit is fermented. I then pour the water/juice into a jar to sit and turn into vinegar and the chickens get the fermented fruit.

A month or so from now i will use the vinegar to make pickles or pickled eggs and some of the vinegar may be add to the chickens water.

My chickens got a quart of Fermented fruit.  A mix of fruits; peels, cores and trimmings used to make vinegar.  First batch of the year.

They loved it.  No there is no vinegar in the fruit.  I just soak the fruit a day or two until the water bubbles.  At that point the fruit is fermented. I then pour the water/juice into a jar to sit and turn into vinegar and the chickens get the fermented fruit.

A month or so from now i will use the vinegar to make pickles or pickled eggs and some of the vinegar may be add to the chickens water.

So let me get this straight.... You soak the fruit in water? Until it bubbles? Like you do FF? Drain and feed?

My chickens got a quart of Fermented fruit. A mix of fruits; peels, cores and trimmings used to make vinegar. First batch of the year.

They loved it. No there is no vinegar in the fruit. I just soak the fruit a day or two until the water bubbles. At that point the fruit is fermented. I then pour the water/juice into a jar to sit and turn into vinegar and the chickens get the fermented fruit.

I once saw a recipe for drunken chicken; but that recipe didn't involve getting them drunk while they were still alive.
gig.gif

I gave my meat birds 3 whole raw eggs. They couldn't figure out how to peck hard enough to break the shells so I used a marker and put red dots all over the shells. Bingo! They sure do love raw eggs.

Back
Top Bottom